Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of adhesive is good to use on body kits? i just purchased one and would like to know If this is something I can get from the Home Depot or is it something more complex?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
That sounds wholly ricerish. I suggest you can buy the rest of your body kit at home depot too. Some sheetmetal, few rivits..

I honestly dont know, but i wouldn't suggest glue... There is a reason that have these little holes in them that look like they are for screws..

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I suggested not to use glue, it just doesnt sound appealing to me, or pratical. Body filler, i dont know. I dont do body kits. If i didnt post something then this thread wouldnt come up under new posts and no one will help him. Technically, by being an asshole, everyone benifits. And you cant take me seriously anyways.. ****, my freaking sn is wilbur... :p :D

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Why would you want to use an adhesive in the first place? Body kits are supposed to be attached with mechanical fasteners.

·
Registered
187 Posts
4 the side skirts use adhesive tape it holds 5 pounds per square inch and for the front and back use the bracks and screws it comes with!!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
alexw3 said:
4 the side skirts use adhesive tape it holds 5 pounds per square inch and for the front and back use the bracks and screws it comes with!!
The side skirts are supposed to be held in with clips and the double-back sticky tape is only used to prevent moisture and movement of the panel on the rocker panel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The side skirts that I have run up the body quite a ways and are designed to be molded in. I seem to remember seeing someone using what looked like a caulking gun on an extension type body kit. I don't think some bondo and glass will hold it without cracking and two sided tape is out of the question. I'll try and locate the manufacturer of the kit and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If the body kit has clips use them.
You're supposed to use 3m double sided tape for 2 reasons:
1 for added strength
2 because the clips (if you're peices have them) will not hold tight to car so it vibrates which leads to paint scratch and eventually leads to paint loss then rust.
3m tape is the best as far as side molding applications.
I just went through all this with a body kit install I helped with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
cclngthr said:
The side skirts are supposed to be held in with clips and the double-back sticky tape is only used to prevent moisture and movement of the panel on the rocker panel.
Not the kit I got (jtautostyle) no clips at all all i needed was two screws one for the inner front wheel well and the other on the rear and the double sided tape on the body now I could have it moled on but how you take the fender off and it could crack the mold if i hit it hard like over a bump

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
What I did to attach Liz's kit to her car (the previous "expert" attached it with 2 screws) is to drill a partial hole (halfway down the material) that's slightly bigger than the self-tapping screw head. I thenn drilled the self tapper in there, used a grinder to flush up the bolt with the surrounding material, then I filled the hole and surrounding irregularities with body filler.DO NOT USE SPOT PUTTY! IT WILL CRACK OFF! whatever minor irregularities were filled with spot putty, wet sanded, scratch filler primer, and painted.

You can't tell there's a screw there. I did the same to attach my fender flares to the pony (i used heat to melt the plastic around the screw, then put a bit of spot putty over the hole)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts