Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiburon is a 1997 fx 2.0 liter with an auto transmission. and i'm currently in in the process of aquiring parts to turbocharge it. This is a street driven car that i would like to drive anyday and whenever I want, therefore it has to be reliable, and not for racing. My goal is to have 175-200 whp with smooth, linear power delivery, and strong boost between 2400-2600 rpm and 6200-6400 rpm.

The things I already know I'd like to have are a medium sized front mount intercooler for minimal boost lag and good cooling, a good blow-off valve, a tubular manifold, and an external wastegate. I'm curently reading some magazine articles on turbo sizing and all that jazz which is good, in a few days I'll be talking to the guy who's gonna tune this all, I hope he can give me some insight.

But anyway, here are a few questions for you, my fellow hyundai fans

- at 175-200 whp what upgrades should be performed on my fuel system, I already plan on using the GReddy E-Manage, but will I have to upgrade my fuel pump, injectors, add a fuel pressure regulator, etc?

- at 175-200 whp what upgrades should be done to the ignition and timing, should i get
certain spark plugs, bigger plug wires, cam gear, I've read in other forums that any timing advance/retard devices such as cam gears, and MSD dis boxes are not even necessary when running the E-Manage, I've read up on it and I believe it, how about you guys?

- I don't plan on uprading the engine internals other than using a thicker head gasket, which ones are good, which ones are bad, what materials should the best ones be made of, and what's out on the market anyway?

- turbo, intercooler piping, and exhaust sizing. Let's see some suggestions here, it's the most vital decision to pick a turbo that's within the range of the desired power. The size of the turbo decides the intercooler piping & exhaust diameter so keep that in mind, not too big, and not too small

Alright that's it. I hope this is a good topic, any and all feedback is apreciated, no reply or question is too complicated or lame, because we all wonder and learn about new stuff everyday!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi JMarc

Around 200 HP at the wheels you will definately need larger injectors.
Also a high presure fuel pump...something like a 255lph Walbro or something.
In line with that, a fuel pressure regulator would be suggested to regulate thru the boost range.

Also at around 200HP, a piggy back system would not suffice as it cant adjust ignition, so a standalone system would be practical... your choice of manufacturer. There are many to chose from.

Also depending on drivability at that power range, your tranny may or may not be able to handle the power...I dont know much on the auto tran of the tibby...
A LSD is needed in the tranny tho..THAT I can definately guarantee. The spider gears dont like the abuse.

Its suggest personally that you rather upgrade the internals... rather get lower comp pistons than a thicker gasket..

Also the cooler burning the plug, the better... NGK bcp7 es or er are a good start, but again, there are many to chose from.

The charge piping depends on where you want your boost to kick in and also the size of the turbo being used. THis goes hand in hand with the intercooler size, obviously the larger you go, the more lag you will have. But again, if you match your turbo, intercooler and piping, you will have no lag at all. A T3/T4 can make the power you are looking for quite easily. The exhaust size should not be restrictive in any way. I have a 63mm straight thru with 2 boxes just to calm the noise slightly. But you guys have all these emission laws and stuff so within limits are up to you.

Hope this helps some.

Grant

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Originally posted by lostbuoy
[body]
Hi JMarc

Around 200 HP at the wheels you will definately need larger injectors.
Also a high presure fuel pump...something like a 255lph Walbro or something.
In line with that, a fuel pressure regulator would be suggested to regulate thru the boost range.

Also at around 200HP, a piggy back system would not suffice as it cant adjust ignition, so a standalone system would be practical... your choice of manufacturer. There are many to chose from.

Also depending on drivability at that power range, your tranny may or may not be able to handle the power...I dont know much on the auto tran of the tibby...
A LSD is needed in the tranny tho..THAT I can definately guarantee. The spider gears dont like the abuse.

Its suggest personally that you rather upgrade the internals... rather get lower comp pistons than a thicker gasket..

Also the cooler burning the plug, the better... NGK bcp7 es or er are a good start, but again, there are many to chose from.

The charge piping depends on where you want your boost to kick in and also the size of the turbo being used. THis goes hand in hand with the intercooler size, obviously the larger you go, the more lag you will have. But again, if you match your turbo, intercooler and piping, you will have no lag at all. A T3/T4 can make the power you are looking for quite easily. The exhaust size should not be restrictive in any way. I have a 63mm straight thru with 2 boxes just to calm the noise slightly. But you guys have all these emission laws and stuff so within limits are up to you.

Hope this helps some.

Grant
[/body]
most of this is pretty good info except the statement about the piggyback not being able to suffice after 200hp. the Greddy Emanage with all the harnesses and MAP sensor will be able to get well over 450-500 hp before it would be hard to tune.. There is an ignition harness so you can tune your ignition timing to advance/retard for boost, the additional injector harness to add fuel, which you can use Via MAP sensor so your MAF wont correct it and lean you out. you also have ability to run a second fuel rail specifically for boost like i am right now using the sub injector harness. so you DO NOT need a standalone computer for your goals or probably ever..

strong boost at those rpm, go for the t3super 60 trim turbo.. itll max out at around 250-270whp and spool at those rpms, trust me, i have it.. i will be selling most of my setup also, if you were interested.. it would include t3super 60 turbo, Intercooler piping sized for the turbo.. 2" charge side, 2.5" to from IC to TB, and my 28" intercooler, i have pics if your interested.. im just upgrading my kit to get around 400whp and this setup will not work..

to get your goal and have potential for MUCH more i would go with basically a toned down version of my setup. you can use a decompression plate tho for the power your looking at and it will be fine.. just dont take it over like 230whp with decomp. plate..

my exhaust is strait back 2.5" a pipe bolts on turbo, then goes all the way back, under axle to a muffler..

plugs.. get one step colder NGK plugs. i got PRD wires.. there really nice..

get an aeromotive FPR there really nice, easy to use, and good for your turbo setup..

FYI, i will be selling my turbo, intercooler, and intercooler piping for around 600.00 which is a damn good deal.. my turbo has less than 500 miles on it also..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info.

- grant specified that I would need larger injectors & and an upgraded fuel pump, I was expecting it to be a necessity, but I'd like to know at what horsepower level does this become necessary, and what size injectors should I run for this setup. What injectors have you run with your setup importshark?

-I'm glad that importshark pointed out that the GReddy E-Manage is much more than any other piggyback unit out there, I think it's actually the best thing anybody could tune any hyundai with these days, it's a little tricky to set up from what I've read but it seems so popular on a few other furums on the net, plenty of people have started using them, and they brag about the possibilities, some people are going to have some major horsepower when all is said and done.

- grant seemed unsure that the tranny would hold that much power, from what I've heard in the past the auto tranny can reliably hold 200hp with no problem, some people say that if I don't use for racing it should have no problems even if I drive it hard once in a while . Anyway I'm only looking for 175-200 hp, the only upgrade I might try is a transmission cooler, if anybody has info pertaining to the reliability of the transmission please post it.

-hey importshark,you said that to get my goal and have much more potential I should go for a toned down version of your setup, what do you think this setup would be made up of compared to yours, and by the way what kind of manifold did you use in your setup, what size injectors, etc. I'd like to know more about it, your offer to sell seems interesting.

If you can email me with pics & info at [email protected] that'd be cool

I'll try and get back at this tommorow night it's gettin' kinda late right now anyway so thanks for the help, everybody

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
for your auto, i would definately get the level 10 tourque convortor and a tranny cooler..

i am using dual fuel rails.. i have a stock rail with stock injectors (245cc) urs are 195cc i believe.. and i have a boost rail holding 340cc accel injectors controlled by the emanage sub injector harness and getting its signal from the MAP sensor.. the boost rail is only activated under boost. otherwise i get stock gas mileage because im running stock fuel maps..

the emanage is bar none the best way to go IMO..

i used a equal length stainless manifold from speedfactor.. but i know where to get a better manifold for you... just ask..

heres where all my pics are..

http://photobucket.com/albums/a226/turbotib/ thats throughout the whole project, and pics when everything was done with..

for 200whp i know you will crave more, boost is addicting..

but for a good setup for you i would say

bored intake manifold with ported runners
second fuel rail with 350cc injectors
greddy emanage and harnesses
big b ore throttle body
walbro 190 or 255 fuel pump
aeromotive fpr
equal length manifold
t3 super 60 turbo (ball bearing section iff possible)
2.5" intercooler piping
big FMIC
2.5" full exhaust system
HKS or GReddy BOV
turbo timer
level 10 tourque convortor
tranny cooler

ill finish list later. i know i left some stuff out but im tired.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey import shark, I checked out the pics of your setup, I'm very interested in it now maybe in a couple weeks I might go for it, but for now I have a couple of questions for you

-the manifold you have you said it was from speedfactor, is this the speedfactor from new zealand, how much was it? If I buy your setup I need to use if possible a same manifold as you do or one very similar otherwise I will have to bend or cut & reweld the intercooler pipes as necessary to fit.

- does the air ram manifold have a setup for secondary fuel rail & injectors? I believe this is a must with the emanage, If I use my stock manifold I could go with a manifold spacer/ secondary fuel rail setup like the one flyride has in their turbo kit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
these are the other parts that I used for my car.

apex full gasket kit
obx adjustable cam gear
oil catch can
ngk iridium spark plugs
haltech e6x ecu and loom
Pirtek turbo lines and fittings
JUN BL system
rpw performance stage 2 camshaft

I'm replacing my original manifold from a ssautochrome to the ones that T4turbotiburon has fabricated.

Pictures
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/4cefedtiburon/MVC-037Fgt25.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/4cefedtiburon/MVC-039Fgt25.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/4cefedtiburon/MVC-038Fgt25.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/4cefedtiburon/MVC-045Fgt25.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/4cefedtiburon/MVC-043Fgt25.jpg

I've got a garrett gt28rs turbo, initially dissapointed with the total power.
acceleration under 2000 - 5000rpm is excellent.
But it doesn't have as much Top end power as the T3 turbos
my car is doing 210hp on the Dyno, I would like to get 250hp

I'm saving up money for the BBthrottle body and airram manifold.

Hi 01IMPORTSHARK
On your pictures you've got the airram and throttle body.
Did you get to test your car on the Dyno for the power figures before and after the installation of airram & TB?

[Edited by renantepayne on Nov 19, 2005 1:50 PM]

[Edited by renantepayne on Nov 19, 2005 1:52 PM]

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
the air ram doesnt have it setup for secondary injectors.. all u need is a spacer, and longer manifold bolts or studs..

i didnt dyno before and after i had the bigger TB and the AIR RAM but could definately feel a mid to high rpm difference N/A. was a very good buy. highly reccommend it..

i believe you are the one who emailed me about buying the kit, if so, i emailed you back.. so check ur mail :)

speedfactor is based out of arizona but he is not reliable for anything so i would get a manifolf from t4turbotiburon.. good quality and i dont think you will have to mod intake pipes much or at all.. ill get some specs of his manifold and see what he thinks..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts