Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi it's been quite some time since I checked in. My brother installed a Turbo on his RD2 recently but theres seems to be a problem. If u accelerate the car in idle and still the car does not make boost the engine stalls...? Wierd. Ive known that in some cases if, (IF) the engine is boosting and all of a sudden u decelerated sometimes the engine stalls but that is due to the Air/Fuel ratio being to rich in that moment. But thats the thing if u rev the engine theres no boost then why is the engine stalling? We noticed that theres air coming out of the BOV even at idle. The BOV unit was brought on ebay...I'm pretty shure that its not one of the best out there (obviously) but what I'm thinking is that it has something to do with the BOV. Im not so shure but I dont think that it needs to be blowing air out @ itdle...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ebay BOV's suck... They leak, They Break, and they're worth less than the money you paid for them.

What kind of setup do you have for your turbo? Is the BOV flanged?

Hell, spend 20 dollars and get yourself a 90-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser crushed BOV and it'll screw in if you have a 2" flanged bov setup. They chirp like a bird and aer solid until about 14 psi.

Howie~

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is flanged. It's like a Greddy type S Imitation. They look awesome but heck what a crap. A friend of mine has a used -REAL- Greddy BOV. The real deal here and he's gonna lend it to us. Well check it out on the week to see if that solves our problem but Im pretty shure that it will.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another question...

No CEL's are popping? What are you using for fuel management? SAFC? Are there any other boost leaks? Boost Leaks + Leaking BOV cause problems in causing your air/fuel mixture to be a little rich... The problem you're having almost seems like a lean mixture. Have yo uupgraded your injectors?

Howie~

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother is using the SAFCII, 450cc injetcors, boost is @6PSI (4 now), but we checked all the pipes but still no air leak. Apparently we didnt made good adjustments to the BOV. Now the car is running better. After u disingage the throttle and the BOV releases, still the engine stalls but just a little bit... but still the engine runs ok. By the way @ 6PSi...Yaahooo. Thats all I have to say. The car has 17" rims with good Nitto tires and in first gear without popping the clutch the tires starts to spin. COOOL!!:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My brother is using the SAFCII, 450cc injetcors, boost is @6PSI (4 now), but we checked all the pipes but still no air leak. Apparently we didnt made good adjustments to the BOV. Now the car is running better. After u disingage the throttle and the BOV releases, still the engine stalls but just a little bit... but still the engine runs ok. By the way @ 6PSi...Yaahooo. Thats all I have to say. The car has 17" rims with good Nitto tires and in first gear without popping the clutch the tires starts to spin. COOOL!!:)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You are not recirculating the bov are you? The safc has a fix for atmosphere venting bovs, i cant remember what its called though. To eliminate the problem all togother install the mass air flow sensor close to the throttle body rather than on the intake side of the turbo.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That makes perfect firggin sense!

You're a genius OMG! Venting to the atmosphere isn't the best performance wise, but it sure as hell sound mean as hell. If you are venting to the atmosphere, you run extremely rich because the MAF accounts for the recirrculation of the air even though it's not there. If you want the car to sound sick, just install an 02 dump. Makes it sound like a jet engine on crack. For the time being, set up the recirculation tube and let it be.

HOwie~

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
oh yeah, i was wondering why many turbo owner's have Line's goin from the BOV Nipple to the Intake manifold..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah...

The cars w/extremely loud BOV's are the ones who vent directly into the atmosphere. Those are the cars that car enthusiasts attempt to race on the track because they're easy kills xP It's insane how much of a difference a well tuned car w/a recirculated turbo is compared to a crappily tuned, air dumped turbo setup.

Howie~

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
and here i am wondering why factory turboed car's dont' have BOV's and have plastic intake plumbing

well, i guess that separate's the enthusiast's from the boyracer's in their srt-4's thinkin they're the ****.

anyone who think's compressor surge is awesome should be slapped with a paperweight..

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Factory cars have recirculating-type "bypass" valves that operate in similar fashion to BOV's. The GTR's have two on the left-hand side of the intercooler(viewed from front) and the S15's is found on the RHS of the car IIRC, next to the fender wall.

And I agree that response suffers because air charge is voluntarily wasted; I've been using a VTA-type BOV for a few years now, and I'm about to swap it out for a recirc-type in the search for even more response. No reason for good, readily-pressurized:D air to go to waste eh?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
My hks ssqv bov vents to the atmosphere, I keep the mass air flow on the intake side next to the throttle body though. My turbo *was* so tiny it didnt make a difference because it spool instantly anyway.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ok this guy is working on my s/c kit and i first put on hks blow off he told
me it is not working because it is dual stage and he is going to work with single stage like turbo xs type H i'm kind of sad that my favorite HKS is not working with my kit would you guys know what the problem is??

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Why would you put a BOV on a roots type setup? Other than for the noise? It doesn't get compressor surge like a turbo.... it creates boost by "forcing" air against the valves. This (in a normal setup for a roots) causes the pressure to build in the IM creating boost. It needs that build up. :confused:

sorry for going off topic.. this might need to be removed from this thread depending on how far the convo goes.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Uhm...

I dont think you understand what Witch was saying... SuperCharger systems create a constant pressure due to the fact that it is belt ran instead of exauhst fed, causing no compressure surge... The BOV is only needed on a turbo and wouldn't accomplish much on a S/C because it would only open once pressure is released.

Howie~

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Its a bypass valve for a supercharger, not a turbos blow off valve....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts