Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some brake work for a friend of mine on a 99 Accent. I've done front rotors, pads, calipers.

After completing the work and bleeding the system, the pedal goes all the way to the floor, so after bleeding some more to no avail, I changed the master cylinder, bench bled the crap out of it and put it in. Still have very low pedal, no leaks, no air coming out of the lines, and no leaky wheel cylinders.

I know the rear shoes need to be adjusted, but it seems they can only be adjusted with the drums off. Problem is the rusty lip on the edge of the drum would not allow me to get the drum back on without ruining the shoes.

My question is if the rear brakes were adjusted nice and tight would it bring up the pedal significantly? Even considering it goes just about to the floor?

What about the metering valve? Would that have anything to do with the problem?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes adjusting your rear pad will help your pedal position...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Put the parking brake on and see if the pedal is normal. If the pedal is very high then the problem is in the rear. If the pedal is better but still low and a little spongy then somehow the front pads are moving or flexing. Check to see that the caliper is free to move on the 2 long screws that hold it to the mounting bracket. If it is frozen to the screws then it will not self center and there will be too much movement before the pads touch the disk. I had this problem in my 99 Accent and had to take the screws off and lubricate them with a thick silicon grease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks rocconi, I will try the e brake procedure. As far as the front calipers are concerned, they are new rebuilt loaded calipers with new slide pins so I doubt thats the problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
there should be 2 rubber oval plugs one on each wheel on the inside of the drum to help with adjusting
another problem could be either the brake lines to master cylinder hooked up wrong or the brake booster behind the master cylinder or a vacuum laek at the brake booster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts