Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was currently viewing the selection of tires they have to offer for the current vehicle a 1997 Hyundai Elantra 4 Door. After viewing the selection and making a decision I went to discount tire co. looked at what they had available for my car and the best they had in available was the Ziex ZE512

The Ziex ZE512 had to offer the following below:
Warranty 50,000 Miles
Treadwear 420
Traction A
Temperature A
Speed Rating HR

I purchased two of these tires and placed them on back. I took the back ones and put them up front they have at least 7,000 miles left of tread. My question to everyone who might know the answer, is there a better tire to offer that can fit on my car? Right now I have stock rims, and plan on replacing them with 14 inch racing rims. I want to make sure that I have the best tires ( keep in mind speed rating) on my car for maxium safety.

So far after using vehicle after two new tires placed on, I notice a big difference overall. Quite satisfied with how they respond. So I am up for any suggestions that you guys might have. Thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think the best tires I've used for the price would be the BFG G-Force Sports.

They're pretty cheap and they handle really well. They're a great street tire. I upgraded to the BFG G-force KDNW's and they're even better, with a great aggresive tread.

To each their own though

Howie~

P.S. I highly don't recommend using only 2 new tires... It's both dangerous, and if the treads are different, they look a bit off. They perform WAY better when they're all the same anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the current Speeed rating on those? From my research it shows W rating which is quite good. I notice they were in 15 inch sizes though. My current set up is 14 inch. However I can always upgrade because I need to buy new rims. They look like good tires. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Upgrade to 15" rims theres so many choise of good performance tires. Kumho 712s, Falken RT615, Toyo Proxes RA1 are all excellent (I've used them all)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks. I feel like such a newb. I looked at the 15 inch tire selection and they have ZR tires available. Which is great, only bad thing is I just spent 186 dollars for 2 14 inch falken tires. Well when I decide to upgrade to 15 inch rims, is it possible I can just buy a pair ( with Cooper Zeon 2XS Tires Rating ZR ) and have 14 inch on front of vehicle and 15 inch rims on back? Or vice versa? Or would safety and performance drastically drop from this? Just trying to come up with a budget plan that is right for me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Its not that bad on AWD you can't but FWD is fine. I did it while waiting on my snow tires you notice it a bit but I had substancially different sizes on my car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
In all honesty...

How fast are you really going to push the car? The speed rating on the tires are just 1 letter, like H is upwards of 130 mph and the R is bascially your rim size. If you're going performance wise, a lot of people perfer running 16's. They also looks GREAT and opens up more potential for Big Brake Kits (which may require using 17's).

Typical street racing only requires upwards of H rating tires, and they're usually cheaper. What are you using them for? Just plain street use?

Howie~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thanks for pointing out the brakes. I plan on pushing this car to good limits. As well as upgrading the brakes on it as well. I know 17s can easily be placed on with no problems rubbing. However I just dont know what size really to get now. I am up for all opinions. I am going to put a big turbo on it down the road. So I want to make sure that what ever I buy part wise, that I can save the trouble now by buying the right size parts now and not having to upgrade due to turbo needing different size or something. I know turbo has nothing to do with tire sizes just trying to make a point. I am looking at getting the Z rated tires. I wanted to get chrome 17's orignally( with some exceptions) However I want to make this car a super sleeper. Leaving all the body work plain as much as possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my $.02

If you plan on putting any real horsepower on the pavement, upgrading your wheels and tires should be a high priority. You're talkin' about goin turbo, so you're gonna need at least a 16" rim to be able to carry enough tire width. You are probably gonna want a 17" rim for all that you want to do. I, personally, went with 16",but I have no plans to turbo or increase brake size. (That and I got a sweet e-bay deal on a set of BBS RK's. I put Yokohama Avid H4s 205/45-16) I'd recommend looking for some springs and struts too (or coil-overs, if you plan on tracking the car).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I am def. going to upgrade suspension. So I guess I go with 17 inch rims then. However if I drop suspension will the tires start to rub with out any customizing done? Just curious. Well its settled now, 17s it is. I think it might make the car look pretty good, however I dont want nothing to fancy shown on outside. Like i said I plan on keeping this car a sleeper. After I am done with it, its going to be a 12.8 mile sec car or better. Takes money, but I am dedicated to making this elantra stomp some ****. Thanks for everyons input on this topic. I made a good decision by sticking with 17 inch wheels. Now I just need to find a design that isnt to fancy and low profile any recommendations?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Try the Bridgestone RE01s. They will run rings around any street tire. Needless to say, they are summer only tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eeek so enlighten me on the term "summer tire" Sorry for being newbish. Lol, I live in texas and not much cold weather here. However I hate to have to switch tires out for season. Lemme do some reviews on that selection you gave me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Summer tires...

Tires that are supposed to be used when the weather is dry to wet...

Winter tires...

Tires that are supposed to be used when it is snowy or icy.

You don't need to worry abuot it in Texas... I don't think I've ever heard of it snowing lower than Kansas

Howie~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts