Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a AEM cold air intake this last spring for my 01 tiburon. Rainy season is coming up, so I got a bypass valve, I'm not sure how to install the thing though, do I hook it directly up to the throttle body, or do I have to cut the intake in half and install it there?

Note: wish to do the simplest method

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so once i install it, you cant remove it?

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Correct.

You need to cut a section out before the MAF.

[body]With so many new applications available through AEM, we recommend reviewing the instructions for your system thoroughly prior to installing an AEM Air Induction System. This will save you time in the long run if the installation is too difficult, and will prevent you from possibly damaging your system.

Be sure to snug the fittings down for your AEM Air Induction System at the end of the installation. Although each system is precision engineered and fits exactly the same way on each application, it is sometimes necessary to manuever the system to its mounting points during the installation process. Tightening all of the clamps and brackets as you go will make this procedure difficult.

AEM is in the process of including daigrams in the Cold Air Induction System (CAS) instructions for Air Bypass Valve placement. In the mean time, if you receive a system without this information and are unsure as to where the Air Bypass Valve installs on your CAS, please post your application and an engineer will supply the information for you.

Generally, the Air Bypass Valve installs along the upper section of the induction pipe, close to the throttle body. Be sure that it is not installed too close to the Inlet Air Temp sensor, and NEVER install an air bypass valve in between a throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF), or on a forced induction vehicle.

Be sure to check for clearance for the width of the Air Bypass Valve during installation, and to use the provided template to remove the proper amount of material from the induction pipe.
[/body]
Straight from the AEM website
http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=18&sid=&tid=3

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but the bypass valve will only work when the cone filter s completely submerged in waTER.

The bypass vale act's almost like a secondary air filter,
if it doesn't sense air from the main Filter, it open's up it's own filter flap's and let's the air enter from there,

·
Registered
1 Posts
exactly... the point of the bypass valve is to keep the water from being sucked up into your engine causing lockdown.... when the filter is submerged (i dont think it has to be completely submerged... just mostly) the bypass valve will open letting air into the intake and thus keeping your engine alive. some people have experienced hydrolock and were able to save their motors but mostly its a total disaster. basically you must cut your intake... preferrably half to two thirds the way up the intake... closer to the TB and put the bypass in there. when its not "rainy season" you can take out the bypass valve and replace it with a joint... such as the ones found on most ebay intakes. any questions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts