Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I made up a cam comparison chart to help all of those who have been asking about cam specs.

Thanks to Croat for re-doing it for us.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The best combination for any of the three engines would be the XD intake cam and the Beta1 2.0L or 1.8L exhaust cam.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Beta1 goes all the way to 2001 in the Tib and 2000 in the Elantra. The 2001 Elantra and 2003 Tib have the Beta2.

Reactions: 427troy

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about the aftermarket cams. For Cat Cams info, check www.jrponline.com . I think any aftermarket cam would be better than an XD cam just because the XD cam is mild. But, the aftermarket cams are alot more money.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have installed the XD cam in my brother's '96 Elantra 1.8L. I haven't dynoed it, but the "butt dyno" says I lost some low end power and gained some top end. I'm sure when I get the S-AFC tuned, it'll get back some of the low end power it lost. I just haven't had time to mess with it due to my 70 hrs./week work schedule.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I broke my foot, so although I did install the S-AFC in his car, I haven't been able to climb under his dash to hook it up to the ECU. When I do, I'll post the results.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes. Rob has to convert it from an Excel file to and image file so I can post it.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The link doesn't work. Email it to me and I'll post it in the original post. What did you convert it to?

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I gathered all of the information from www.hmaservice.com/webtech.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Originally posted by Shadohh
[body]
maybe i have confused myself.

but would not the 1.8L have a duration of 234

and the XD cam have a duration of 230 ?

[/body]
How'd you come up with those numbers?

1.8L= 6+180+46= 232
XD= 9+180+43= 232

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The is only one 1.8L cam. Tell the dealer you want a '97 Elantra 1.8L intake cam.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If you have a 1.8L, I wouldn't change the cams at all unless you're going to use an aftermarket cam (like CatCams).

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you're staying normally aspirated, a cam gear isn't going to be much benefit. It can help with a turbo, though. With a turbo, adjusting both cams can be done to control where in the rev range the power will be. If you could adjust the cams independantly, a cam gear would help in an n.a. car. I believe a company in Korea is selling an adjustable cam gear for the intake cam that can be used with the adjustable exhaust cam wheel.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've got my stock cams in the garage. I'll try to measure them today.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Best cam for the 2.0L Beta 1:

N/A = XD cam is best with 19 degrees of overlap.
Turbo = 1.8L cam is best with only 16 degrees of overlap.

Reactions: 427troy

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Originally posted by shovel_it
[body]
I've enjoyed this form but Im confused. I have a 2001 Elantra. It has Beta2 xd cam..Are you saying I should remove the exhaust cam with one from a Beta1???:smoking:
[/body]
Yes.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Originally posted by CROOOL_LANTRA
[body]
Exhaust cam?
I thaught this whole discussion was about the intake cam :puzzled:
I think im missing somthing :hmmm:
[/body]
If you have a 2.0L Beta1, you want to swap in either the 1.8 or XD intake cam. However, if you have a Beta2, you want to swap in a Beta1 exhaust cam. The Beta1 exhaust cam has more lift and duration than the Beta2 exhaust cam.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
If you look at the cams side by side, Hyundai didn't change the ramp of the cam. When most manufactureres switch to solid lifters, they change the cam to use a smaller base circle and a steeper ramp. This allows the cam to weigh less. However, Hyundai did not do this. The base circles are the same and the ramp is almost the same (less than .4 mm more lift). Hyundai only went to solid lifters because they were having many warranty claims for hydraulic lifters due to the 100,000 mile warranty. The hydraulic lifters aren't as durable. If you scan through this site, you'll see many people asking if the clicking noise under the hood is normal. This clicking is caused by the seals in the hydraulic lifters starting to leak. Now, if people have noisy lifters, Hyundai can blame "lack of proper maintainence" due to the fact that most people with newer car don't even know that a regular valve adjustment is normal, nevermind actually getting it done.

· Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It's simple geometry..... If the base circles are the same and the max height of the lobe is 0.4mm larger, the ramp isn't much steeper. It's not steep enough to cause a problem. The Cat-Cams I'm running in my car are much steeper and I have hydraulic lifters. I understand what you're saying, and you're correct that as a general rule you don't want to run a solid lifter cam with hydraulic lifters. However, in this particular application, there's not a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts