Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
If I knew the exact reason why Hyundai has a problem with it's hydraulic valvetrain, I'm sure Hyundai would be willing to pay for the answer. I don't know why they tick. Apparently Hyundai doesn't either. This is why they gave up on the hydraulic valvetrain and went with solid lifters.

Like I said, nobody's being forced to take my advice. But, for the record, I guess I have if not the most powerful n.a. Tib in the 50 states, it's one of the top 3. Built by me, no credit card tuning here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
um just to let you know the xd cam wears your engine out quicker. the safe bet is to go with the 1.8L cam you can find out more info on rdtiburon.com. i have installed the 1.8L intake cam and the 1.8l ecu in my 2.0l tiburon and it works great. the reason they sell the xd cam on kspec is cuz in korea the can replace the engaines for cheap so they dont care about the wear.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Originally posted by Teflon
[body]
um just to let you know the xd cam wears your engine out quicker. the safe bet is to go with the 1.8L cam you can find out more info on rdtiburon.com. i have installed the 1.8L intake cam and the 1.8l ecu in my 2.0l tiburon and it works great. the reason they sell the xd cam on kspec is cuz in korea the can replace the engaines for cheap so they dont care about the wear.
[/body]
The XD cam won't wear "the engine". If anything, it might wear the lifters. If that does happen, worst case is you're looking at replacing 8 lifters at a cost of about $12 each.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok I just read the three pages and I am trying to keep up here. I am ruling out touching my Exaust cam, but the intake cam is going to be on the menue if I am lucky. I have a timing belt coming up in a few thousand kms. I am thinking about the xd cam wich would be from a 97 Elantra. That would be able to give me the most NA power, I am thinking of turbo in the far future so the 1.8 Is also a though. What is the power difference between those cams for power? I wouldn't mind changing later to a more turbo oriented cam. What about the wear issues. I have read about them. But what is more often. I am in school to be a mechanic only afew months now so I am no pro but I don't mind a little maitenance. But how much is often? I already have lifter tick after extremly high load such as auto-x. Just looking for some advice on what would be best.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
No. The 2.0L in the '01+ Elantra and '03+ Tib are solid lifter. The XD cam is a solid lifter cam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
anyone think that there would be any issues running solid lifters with the cams designed for the hla's? wanting to try and get ride of the tik as much as possible and get a little performance by going to the 1.8l cam

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me see hmm...XD/GT cam wearing out hydralic lifters? So what's the real thing? I was...WAS...going to buy the XD cam but with all this debate I don't know what to do...what about changing heads...? Swapping a Beta I head to a Beta II? Will it work? Does it have different sensors, vaccum lines, ports, is it just a direct bolt on? What do u think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to everyone.I own a Hyundai accent 1.3L, and I bought a 1.8L engine fron a Hyundai Lantra 1998, to put it on. I replaced everything inside the engine, and now I only need to put it all together. I lowered the valve cap by 0.3mm, and growed up the way to all valves, and now I want to adjust my OEM camshafts. Is there a different adjustment than the original, that will have better results?

Manos,
Greece

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by HYPERACER
[body]
Let me see hmm...XD/GT cam wearing out hydralic lifters? So what's the real thing? I was...WAS...going to buy the XD cam but with all this debate I don't know what to do...what about changing heads...? Swapping a Beta I head to a Beta II? Will it work? Does it have different sensors, vaccum lines, ports, is it just a direct bolt on? What do u think?
[/body]
I have a xd camp installed in my beta I and i haven't seen any problems with using it escept for a burnt smell in teh beggining but its gone now. as for as increase ive had a noticable increase when i get around 2500-3000 rpms, otherwise its kind of a slow start

·
Registered
88 Posts
hmmmm, haven't been on hp for a while, mostly on rd. I got myself the xd cam for my rd1. Now I'm reading that the xd uses solid lifters while my head has hydraulic lifters. Whats going to happen with this setup?? Just a some noise and maybe some premature wear?? If thats all then that would be great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i8acobra said:
The XD cam won't wear "the engine". If anything, it might wear the lifters. If that does happen, worst case is you're looking at replacing 8 lifters at a cost of about $12 each.

\I totaly agree and thats a crock of sh-- it wont couse any more wear just becouse the lobes are narrow:cool:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Man 228 degress is just to low... Maybe some kspec 282 cams will solve the problem :) :) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
dont worry

HYPERACER said:

Hey bro i put the XD cam in my car and i sarted feeling the diffrence even with the ac on i would go for it......and no it wont wear out your valve lifters thats all a crock trust me. go with the xd cam (MORE LIFT IS GOOD):cool: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aren't the Cams Symetrical? Can one put an Exhaust cam on the intake side?
i was looking at it the other day and only need to cut the exhaut cam shorter install a stub for the cam sensor and change the timing mark to match the intake cam and you have a 240 intake ...

81 - 100 of 105 Posts