Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little note, After some research ( and rebuilding my motor ) it seems that if your running juice DO not change the stock cams, not even for a 1.8 cam!!! also it seems that the HLAS really do not like juice either, expect to have them changed, why I do not know since HLas seem happy with 400 hp turbos.

I do believe the problem is with the extra lift causing some impacting, this has happened to both my car and a few others where there should have been no reason for failure. Just one more detail to look out for.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
impact marks on my pistons :) , it's not the only factor but it is one more item that can make your motor go boom.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
can you take a pic of it brendan... it might not be what you think

In randoms laboratory we have had the priveledge to look at 4 betas.... with miles ranging from 3K miles to 85K miles...

Please post a pic

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have pics since all the parts were, well in parts. I am not 100% sure it was the valves since the cast pistons have weak spots ( casting flaws ) but the bent valves seem to say something when wrong up there to.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
ok yea... bent valves are a clear indication...

Was the cam timing correct?

Did you hole your piston?

Ive holed my piston and had the broken piece dance around in the combustion chamber, which bashed the living F--- out of my head...

Could have been that?

Ill do some experimenting with my next engine

3 engines in 2 months... my car is a whore:sleepy:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cam timing was fine, no hole in piston, no little bits floating around but the impact marks were there as well as a burnt piston. I made sure the vaccum hose from the zex was clamped down real tight to, I have a new head, pistons, rings, 1 new rod, cam, timing belt and more.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh one more note, remember we need to retart timming at 65 shot and up if possible, well some ( most ) cams will advance the timing, 2-3 degrees, read more detonation prone. Looking back it's like saying DUH!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by Brendan
[body]
Looking back it's like saying DUH!!
[/body]
Exactly!!!!!! I could slap myself in the head too. Good thing I haven't bought any cams yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Brendan
[body]
oh one more note, remember we need to retart timming at 65 shot and up if possible, well some ( most ) cams will advance the timing, 2-3 degrees, read more detonation prone. Looking back it's like saying DUH!!
[/body]
ok, so if i want to go with a 65 shot or higher. i can adjust my timing by the degree's on my cam? i have a 2001 tib and i hear some say retart 2-4 degree's and i hear some say the beta engines are strong enough to not mess with timing on a 65 shot.
i know i can get a piggy back system or the box from msd, but if i can retart my timing by the cam then that is free so i am all for that....if it can be done on stock cams.

[Edited by djalkyd on Nov 1, 2002 12:02 AM]

[Edited by djalkyd on Nov 1, 2002 12:04 AM]

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the cams are not adjustable, if your read the whole thread, I ( and others ) were using replacement cams, which in their nature advanced the timming, so when we did use and msd to retard the timming, still was not the 2 degrees retarded it should have been. You can not use cams to adjust timming with nos, use the msd.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This is very odd.

I think Brendan been getting valve float.

The valve timing with the piston should not change under N/A or N20 or TURBO.

mmm. There must be sytem with the HLA and the NEW CAM.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm going to post my $0.02...

The cam timing and additional lift on the 1.8L cam slapped into the BETA 1 2.0L motor is not going to be enough to...
A: Force the valves anywhere near your pistons or
B: Cause detonation under nitrous
C: Be extreme enough to wear out springs

There was something else wrong in your build. Either the timing belt was off by a few teeth, the HLA's were OVERinflated by a large margin due to massive oil pressure, or you tapped the revlimiter a few times while actively spraying.

Having milled a few heads in my day, and also having milled the deck on my own project motor, I have done quitea bit of claytesting on my motor (stock and after it was fully built) to find the clearance between valve faces and piston crowns. On the stock pistons, unless your timing is off by at least three teeth on the timing belt or you've got a cam with half an INCH more lift, the valves and pistons will never meet under stock conditions.

Even with my head milled AND the block deck milled so that the pistons come within 0.020" of touching the cylinder head face when COLD, we still have enough valve clearance to be off by a full tooth on the timing belt without hurting anything.

Something else was wrong in your setup. Think about it -- the 1.8L motors came with that cam stock, which makes you VERY far from the first person to use that cam with nitrous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey red, one question for ya advancing the intake cam 1-2 teeth with nitrous on a beta 2 you think it's a good idea? assuming no timing retard with MSD and a 75 shot NX kit. Keep in mid two of us have pretty much proven the beta 2 stock fuel system can handle a 75 NX shot with ease.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Originally posted by juiced2k1elantra
[body]
Hey red, one question for ya advancing the intake cam 1-2 teeth with nitrous on a beta 2 you think it's a good idea? assuming no timing retard with MSD and a 75 shot NX kit. Keep in mid two of us have pretty much proven the beta 2 stock fuel system can handle a 75 NX shot with ease.
[/body]
Why would you want to advance the cam timing?

Its not a good idea...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do not advocate adjusting the cams by way of hopping teeth on the chain or the belt. The increments are too large to be useful, and only on a dyno will you know how many degrees the cam wants to be adjusted.

Just leave it be until you have truly adjustable cam gears and a reservation on a dyno.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Brenden, the damage you describe was most likely caused by overrevving, not too much lift. Nitrous cannot, under any circumstances, increase your lift. What happened was your valves were still open when the piston came up, due to float. If a cam has 45mm of lift N/A, it will only lift the valve 45mm, even with a 200-shot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts