Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep in mind though, wehn you are running nitrous, compresion ratio goes threw the roof, somtimes with the a major amount of nitrous and severe lift (even though piston to valve clearance is not enough for pistons to meet valves) the compresion combined with the higher force from the vavle springs (they are comressed more with higher lift therefore exibit more force on the vavle) is enough to bend factory valves. This is the reason why we cannot run more than a 75 shot without upgraded valves. With upgraded valves and a stock bottom end the beta and beta 2 will hold a 100 shot. Also for this reason I do not reccomend chaging out factory valve springs. If you were to put a higher rate spring ith the valves that ill put even more pressure on the valve, causing them to bend. Unless of course you have changed compression with a head gasket or pistons. Or you got with the ferra titanium valves. Those will servive anything you can give them, high compression with major nitrous and a stiff as [email protected]#* valve springs with a severe lift cam.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Originally posted by juiced2k1elantra
[body]
This is the reason why we cannot run more than a 75 shot without upgraded valves. With upgraded valves and a stock bottom end the beta and beta 2 will hold a 100 shot. [/body]
Who told you this?

I disagree... ive ran about a 85-90 dry shot for about 3 months... ive been running about a 80 shot for about 2 months CONSTANTLY

Not to mention there are people that have been running 150 shots (direct port) for about 3 years now

Valves are not a problem

I dont even remember hearing that the valves were upgraded in the drag tiburons...

Who told you this?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
[body]
Keep in mind though, wehn you are running nitrous, compresion ratio goes threw the roof,
[/body]
Cylinder pressure, not compression ratio.

[body]
somtimes with the a major amount of nitrous and severe lift (even though piston to valve clearance is not enough for pistons to meet valves) the compresion combined with the higher force from the vavle springs (they are comressed more with higher lift therefore exibit more force on the vavle) is enough to bend factory valves.
[/body]
Your valves are closed on the compression stroke. All of the pressure is on the valve seat, not the shaft. You will NOT bend a valve due to cylinder pressure. Also, the springs don't push on the valve....ever. They push against the lifter and pull against the valve. The only damage you can do to a valve by having a spring that's too strong is mashing the seat to s**t by slamming the valve into the seat too hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey I was close, dang push rod engines are finally starting to show up on this, you should see what a buddy of mine did to his SS valves with too much spray. I'll take a pic of them some time here soon if he still has them around. I still think his problem is due to too much nitrous combined ith too much lift. Not a piston to vavle problem. He owuld have definately seen some sort of impact marks on the valves themselves. I am not sure ho told me this, wether it be random or someone at RPW, but they told me the first thig that goes ith too much nitrous are our valves, not pistons or rings. Too many people watching and studying FAF. :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Well, I'm also the Events Coordinator for the Las Vegas F-Body Association, so I've seen a few blown LT1's and LS1's. I just recently got rid of my '97 T/A WS6. Usually, the valve damage is due to detonation. I actually helped a friend remove a header and had the ends of a couple of his exhaust valves fall out of the ports. Not good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by i8acobra
[body]
Well, I'm also the Events Coordinator for the Las Vegas F-Body Association, so I've seen a few blown LT1's and LS1's. I just recently got rid of my '97 T/A WS6. Usually, the valve damage is due to detonation. I actually helped a friend remove a header and had the ends of a couple of his exhaust valves fall out of the ports. Not good.
[/body]
hense too much nitrous. :) not enough fuel or too much timing.

Also on a side note, the guys running 150 shots on their rides in Puerto Rico are all using a progressive controller. SO no major shock to the internals. ALso remember an NX 75 HP jetting is more like a NOS 90 shot. So Jaws you are kinda right about the 80-90 shot ability of the betas assuming enough fuel on a NOS/zex system. An NX 100 HP jetting would be more like i guess a 125 shot NOS/zex.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts