Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, im new to the forum. My clutch started slipping really bad lately so I went to pep boys and got a clutch kit. I removed all the hoses, wires and bolts from the bell housing and began to pull off but then the problem presented itself and I need to solve this as soon as possible. When pulling the tranny off it gets post the dowels (about an inch) then springs back into place.
How do I remove the tranny so that I can replace the clutch and such?? The haynes manual led me nowhere as well so im pulling my hair out about now.

This is an 02 Elantra Sedan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue arrow was removed. Green Arrow linkages was removed.
Although I didnt remove the red arrow, after 2 hours of wondering, I decided to try to and I took off the nut and washers but didnt pry the whole arm off.

So I should pry the whole arm off and it should allow me to pull the whole tranny off? How about reinstalling everything when its replaced, anything special involved with that arm at that point? Im also going to remove the part inside the cylinder that controls the arm to allow faster clutch action to prevent clutch wear in the future.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The arm is what is holding it. What is happening is because it's a pull type clutch as you yank on the trans the pressure plate yanks it back. Once you remove that are the fork will slide out from behind the TOB.

On the install DO NOT PUT THE TOB ON THE pressure plate. Put it on the clutch fork, reinstall that arm after you slide the trans on, and give it a smack. You will hear a click once the TOB is seated and you won't be able to rotate the arm anymore (other than a little play). The arm is keyed so don't worry about the alignment of it v.s the clutch fork.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah the repair manual was for 96 to 2001 or something and the person said it would be the same. It was not helpful at all in terms of description. On my turbo focus, the slave cylinder and throw out are connected as one in the bell housing. Ive never changed a fork style clutch before as my focus was my first car project, but you learn i suppose. I did put the throw out bearing on the pressure plate first and I couldnt get the damn thing off so I just returned it and got another and threw it in. Just broke it in and it runs good.

Also, I removed the spring and metal regulator from the slave cylinder now it feels like a normal clutch. Always wondered why getting in my focus @330hp - 305tq with spec stg 3+ clutch for a few hours then back to my hyundia for work was much to drastic and seemed to slip like all hell. Overall, besides the cool air intake, this is my first major project on the elantra. I love the car so much and im very happy I purchased it for long distance work mon-thurs each week.

Just as any forum for any make of car/ truck, youve been helpful. Thanks a ton guys. I needed the help fast as I needed to get it running by the nights end to head out to work the next morning.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yeah i spent a full day trying to rip my tranny out before i came on here.. what.. 3 years ago? and read about that and it saved me.

Welcome to the forum.. now boost that bitch!;):D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know if I would boost it. I am really wanting a boosted 3rd gen RX7 or perhaps a mazdaspeed RX8. Or a new Evo X. I am not sure anyone knows how to tuned a turbo elantra in the Utah area. With my focus, only person that can (and is the best) is in north carolina so I have to fly him down here or send my car to him to get a solid tune. All other small modifiers can be done with my Xcal 2 and a laptop in 3rd gear pulls but im not too familiar with the software. Although 350 hp is where my focus will stay, its a quick bitch with fully built everything, nice suspension (not dropped, hate that look) euro front and with an overall sleeper look. A lot of time went into that but to smoke an evo and vets with only 16 grand into the car total including the 5,500 I payed for it is a great feeling. At least its not a oh-so-common honda with cheap in-demand-low-cost parts. Anyone who has boosted any Hyundai has my respect though..

Prepairing your car for boost 100hp over stock involves a huge engine overhall and with that usually a differential and suspension change. Unless its a honda where parts are half the cost than my focus which is still a huge market. Post me a link if you can for a turbo kit though, and a respectfull way to tune in my area and I may give it a shot for fun one year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts