Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first time at teh track, first tiem launching sence the turbo, turbo spools aroudn 3 grand, i ran 4 times, fastest i ran was 17.089 with .034 reaction time

When i lauch my car studders and then the rpm will climb back up, i need 2 figure otu what rpm i should drop it and how i can keep it boosting in 1st gear. Ive did it before on the street but couldnt do it at the track. heres one of my slips

R/T - .034
60' - 2.820
330 - 7.392
1/8 - 11.109
MPH 65.66
1000 - 14.335
1/4 - 17.089
MPH - 82.10

Whats funny is i won the elmination rounds 3 times because my dail in time was so low 15.50, i came 2 late for qualifying rounds so i had 2 guess a #

i was droppin the clutch at 3 grand and holdin down the gas

[Edited by ThaSilvaL on Aug 13, 2005 12:43 AM]

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
if your turbo spools at 3g. you cannot just rev to higher than 3g and dump the clutch. when you dump the clutch, if the hp repsonse isnt instant like S/C's are, than your revs drop dramatically on a stock clutch. i would say upgrade your clutch so it will grab harder and stand up to the abuse. but while you have your stock clutch, you are gonna have to "burn" it in a way. instead of dumping it, just let out while getting on the gas evenly but yet still aggressive if it makes sense. you should smell somethin funky if you do and dont do it right. (thats a toast clutch) hope it helps:ermm:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah i didnt smell any burnt clutch, it bogs down from the loss of traction and the revs dropping and the clutch slipping. I need to sorta ride the clutch a bit to keep the revs and the turbo spooled ill practice this time nad figure out whats best with the stock clutch

thnx 4 the info

[Edited by ThaSilvaL on Aug 13, 2005 1:42 PM]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yeah with the stock clutch you will definitely have to "ride" it out. I dont have the stock clutch , mines upgraded but I still have to ride it a little bit on launch.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If its bogging, keep your foot in it and let the wheels spin.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Originally posted by ThaSilvaL
[body] I need to sorta ride the clutch a bit to keep the revs and the turbo spooled [/body]
thats what i meant by burn. i couldnt think of any other way to say it at the time

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just recently did the same thing, first time on the track boosted in my 02 Accent GSi. I pulled 2 15.5XXX runs at just over 91 mph on my stock clutch and about 10 lbs of boost. Then my friend went and ripped of a 14.9 at over 95 mph. We were both granny launching,just getting the clutch out and then getting on the throttle and letting the turbo do the rest. Good times until we lifted the head after turning up the boost a little to much lmao. Its all good though, she will be back on the road tomorrow. Too bad our local strip is now closed for the year.

·
Registered
435 Posts
aright buddy, two stage set to launch, you have to preload the suspension and spool your snail at the same time...

step 1..

do your smoky burnout

step 2..

prestage the car, rev car to approx 4 grand for your setup, apply e-brake

step 3..

let out a little on clutch until it starts to pull the car forward, this will build your boost beacause you are now loading the suspension and making the engine work.

step 4..

on green, drop e-brake and let the clutch fly, reduce wheelspin by feathering the clutch out of the whole till you get traction.

it sounds like alot and complicated, but after a few nights at the test and tune, you'll have it down pat and be pulling pretty close to 2.1 second 60 foot times... (goes to smoke a cigarette....)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts