Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 gauge wire running back to a distrubution block that provides power to my pioneer amp 760 watt max with an 8 gauge wire, I also want to run http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jztlLFxtO7G/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=108R7541A from the other side of the distrubution block with another 8 gauge wire.

Is this wire gauge thick enough? and with all that stuff hooked up would I need a cap or a higher output altenator? the lights dim now a little but only when its really loud.

·
Registered
91 Posts
it should be as long as you are running 2 separate wires from the battery, otherwise maybe put a 4 gague wire to the distribution block, and then run 8 guage wires from that, the alternator should be ok, do the lights dim while you are driving or revving the engine or just while its idling?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only notice it when i'm sitting at a stop sign or at a red light, other than that I don't notice any dimming.

Would a cap help the dimming when stopped? or would it be better to go for one of those yellow top optima batteries?

·
Registered
210 Posts
yes a cap will help, and i know some people will say it's only a bandade solution and to change your alternator to a more powerful one ($$); i'm not positive but i believe it is 1 farad for every 1000watts RMS or is that 1 farad for every 500watts RMS

·
Registered
91 Posts
i wouldnt worry about the dimming too much, as long as its only while you're stopped, if it does it while the engine is being revved then you will need to get a bigger alternator

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so worried about the dimming, more about the correct wire size I should be using for power.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Larger power wire never hurts, I would say 4 would be good, see a lot of people will not run 2 guage they just run 0 which may be kind of big and is run in run in the accent. I would try the cap first the thing is both amps shouldn't spike on power at the same time so you really shouldn't have a problem, I would just leave it unless you start having problems maybe buy a cap though. Also a larger wire to the system could cause more of a problem with your other problem, it may help it too.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
caps will not help you lights diming. I cured mine buy adding a yellow top. But i know that i should upgrade the alt. But caps are only for short bursts of power. they are not ment to cure diming of your lights. they are only made for when you amp needs more power then what it is getting for extreamly shot periods of time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Right when your lights dim that is because the power to the lighting system of the car is being starved of power. A cap will help but will probably not solve the problem but it should help. If you put a voltmeter on your car when it was running without a cap you would notice a greater drop in voltage then when you had a cap. Solution is high output alternator. Well real solution is something along my approach(which would be overkill in your car) high output alt(mine does 142 amps at 2200 rpms that is tested numbers Ohio gen says 180 max) 2.4 farad in caps and 2 yellow tops.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't currently own a voltmeter, but I do have a multimeter (same functions?) would I be able to use this to see if I'm having a big drop, if so how would I do this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
the easiest way is to open the bonnet, start the engine, then set the multimeter to dc volts, any setting above 12 volts, and put the positive and negative leads from the meter onto the appropriate battery terminals, then get the volt reading, then get someone else to turn the stereo on and crank it up, the multimeter will then either drop when the bass kicks in, or stay where it is, if it doesnt move, switch the headlights on and then try it again

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I just tried this, it was 14.73 with nothing on but just the engine started 14.70 with the headlighs on, with foglights 14.68. No headlights or fog lights with the radio at the level I would listen to it was at 14.68 and with everything on and it hitting "powerful bass" it didnt' drop below 14.50. also with everything off the battery was at 13.16.

Is everything normal with that? It seems alright to me.
Do i need to run any kind of amperage test also?

Or should I test the voltage at the amp power cables?

-Edit-I tested the voltage at the amp power cables the lowest it was, was 14.41 is this normal for some voltage loss in the wires?

[Edited by Danath256 on Jan 5, 2006 11:36 PM]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very Slight headlight dimming. If I have the door open the interior light dims, but when I have the switch on it isn't that bad. My door switch going bad?

but everything seems normal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i dont really think theres much you can do about it, well apart from getting a bigger alternator, but if its not causing any problems i'd just leave it, unless you want a bigger alternator or battery...is that with 2 amps in or just one?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now thats just with 1 amp, I thought this one was causing problems, but since it doesn't seem to be the problem. I will prob invest in another amp to power my other interior speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts