Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, actaully its been doing this since the day i got it. but its never really bothered me that much, especially cus all my friends thought it was cool. haha but anyway, when i let off the gas, and ESPECIALLY when i rev just sitting there...once i let off the gas and the engine's rpm's go down i get this kinda of "backfire" sound. its like VVVRRRRRRRRRRROOOMMMMmmpoppapoppmmmmpoppopmmmmmmmmmm

haha if u guess get that. It came with an aftermarket universal Naxos muffler on it, welded right to the pipe and it fits and all (well i haven't really inspected for leaks). I just put a custom CAI on it, with a filter going to a 3" civic intake and then to the maf and air temp sensor then to a pvc bend to the throttle body. i haven't even driven it with this on, just did it today. ive only revved..and it like amplifies the backfireing as well as eveything else.

just curious what u guys think..any similar experiences?

Accent GSi (98, black)
Naxos muffler
Clear side markers
Custom front grills

Custom CAI soon...

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I could be backpressure..not backfireing. My freind had a Trans Am with his own custom catback system.. it had backpressure like crazy... The only thing i have heard about that is if its doing it your loseing HP... so ya might wanna rethink that exhast system.

WytchDctr
Combat Engineer, US Army

2001 Charcoal Grey
Stock (Custom Intake.. very soon)

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
get a 2 1/4 inch pipe fromt he cat and it should reduce the popping. like they said its just backpressure. the stock piping is damn near nothing its like an inch lol

I drive a bumble bee

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know... I had my car over a pit the other day when i was changeing the oil, and wouldn't u know... It already seems to have a custom-made catback on it! im sure its at least 2" but i dunno if its 2 1/4". Its not stainless or anything pretty, just custom bent pipe. but man id hate to hear it if it had stock pipe!

Accent GSi (98, black)
Naxos muffler
Clear side markers
Custom front grills

Custom CAI soon...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine does the same thing but sounds cool so I never worried.

I'll just end up doing a 2 inch pipe all the way back when I eventually get the 4-1 header from sharkracing and a performance cat.

"Help a fellow Tuner; Be helped by a fellow Tuner."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts