Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month, or so, I've noticed 2 things with my steering:

1. steering wheel shakes at idle (very rough idle). I've ordered some engine mounts, so I'm gonna try that.

2. the other steering problem is that the front-end of the car shakes a lot, and so does the steering wheel, when I'm driving at speeds above 115km/h. And when braking at this speed, the car shakes a bit too. Any ideas? I'm thinking the tie rod, but I'd like to hear from any of you guys what you think and if you think it can be other things too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would suspect wheel balance or out of round wheels first. If you hit a pot hole or go quickly over speed bumps you can bend the inside rim of aluminum wheels and get that sort of symptom.

The mounts will not fix the rough idle. That must be an ignition or fuel problem. How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah, I'm gonna try the wheel balance first. While I'm at it, I'll get an alignment done too. The only thing is that if that doesn't fix the problem and I have to do the tie rods, I'm gonna have to get another alignment, but you're right, I should the easy first (wheel balance). I notice that the car is pulling to the left, so maybe I should have an alignment (and possibly wheel balance) done.

About the rough idle, I think I didn't use the right word. When I meant rough idle, I don't mean that the engine is idling rough as if the engine isn't stable. What I meant to say is that my steering wheel is shaking like hell at idle. If you grab hold of it and you look at your elbows, you'll notice that your entire arm and elbows are shaking badly. But as soon as I apply gas (whether in neutral or in gear), the shaking disappears.

The car is at 102,000km.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I still don't think that it is an engine mount problem. I don't know if they have Autozone in Canada but if the do I would get them to do a free readout of your ECU and see if there are any trouble codes. It still sounds like an idle misfire to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not getting a CEL, but I do have an OBDII reader, so I'll connect it and check. What the heck, it's definitely worth a try and it's no trouble at all.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Vibration would probibly would be less if a mount was broken since it would have less of a median to transfer vibration. Is your car an automatic?

Pull the spark plugs and check them. Test the wires if you can.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
vibration will increase with a broken mount. ive had enough to know.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Coal_forge said:
Pull the spark plugs and check them. Test the wires if you can.
Ive found that after changing my plugs and running some seafoam through the car is idles MUCH smoother. It is a unblanaced 4 banger tho. You might try adding some extra ground wires, that will clean up a shaky idle. its next on my list.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies so far, guys.

wilburisthecoolest, sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant about running extra ground wires?

Ok, my 99 tib is manual transmission.

Here are some of the things I want to note:

- I plugged my OBDII reader, no codes
- my current spark plugs, I put on February 2006 (they have around 20,000km). I'm gonna change them and see if that helps
- the plug wires are brand new, OEM, also put on in February 2006
- as the engine was running, I checked the engine mounts and you guys are right, I don't think it's the mounts either; they looked good

Here's what I noticed though:

Damn, my power steering fluid is down, way, way down!!!! Far below the "Min" marking on the reservoir, so I thought that it was leaking. Then, I took a look around the engine, and I found quite a bit of grease (black grease) on top of my CV boot on the passenger side. It was 1am, by the time I found it, so I didn't have time to jack up the car, remove my tire, and look at it more closely. I also noticed that the inside part of my front rims were grease spotted and were black as if dirt and brake dust had settled on top of the grease and dryed up.

Could the REALLY low steering fluid be the culprit for the shaking steering wheel at idle? And what do you guys make of the grease on top of the CV boot? I'm thinking it's power steering fluid leak, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the PS pump is starved for fluid is could put an uneven load on the engine and the pressure would change to power assist. I could see that happening.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It can also cause the steering wheel to vibrate actually. If nothing else is vibrating excessively then it's probably your culprit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm at work, now, but when I get home tonight, I'm gonna put more fluid and investigate that damn grease on top of my shaft boot. I'll let you guys know what I've found.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts