Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to the board, I've have a 2001 Hyundai Sonata (4cyl) and recently its been having a strange rattle when I accelerate... anyways I took it to the dealership (about the tranny) and they noticed it and said that all it needed was a complete... throttle body and fuel system cleaning? or something along those lines. I used a fuel treatment but that didn’t solve the problem. Now I dont know much about cars, sort of been learning alot about them lately and was trying to figure out how to fix my car's problem without having to pay $260 or so dollars... unfortunately it backfired. I did some reading and found a site that discrived how to clean the throttle body without removing it. Here. so I followed the directions took off the air filter hose and got access to the throttle body. I used an old broom to hold down the accelerator (opening the Throttle body) and really it didn't look dirty at all.. that should have been a hint to stop... but I thought I'd go ahead anyways. I sprayed the throttle body and the chamber past it... with the Carb cleaner and used a toothbrush to remove most of the gunk. (wasn't much). Now after a few mins I'm fairly satisfied, put everything back in its place and try to start the car... And of course it wont start.. This is hand down from my family and I’d really like to get it running again without my family finding out. (my dad in particular is always telling me not to mess with the car) .. Now.. Anyone know what the problem would be? Or how I could get it running again? Any help would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I got it running again. I've been reading around and figured I just prolly got too much Carb cleaner into the intake manifold... anyways I just tried to start up the car and floored the accelerator. I got the engine to start for a few seconds and then it died, then I tried it again and kept the RPMS high 5-6K for about 6-7 seconds and then let it idle and it stayed on without any problems. at that point I left it on for a few mins and then took it out for a test drive around the block. Its working fine. I guess it was just clogged with the Carb Cleaner? in any case I got it working without anyone finding out... so I'm relieved... I did find that the rattle noise is reduced after doing this though. might just be me, I'll have to drive it around some more to be sure. Well thx anyways, good luck to all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
rattling sounds bad. o well glad you saved your car, I might try the cleaning thing too.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts