Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, im a bit of a newbie to cars but i've got my dads old hyundai lantra, i think its a '99 model.

the car has been sitting there for 2 years unused since he got a new car and didnt get rid of the lantra because i would inherit it.

we bought a trickle charge for the car and left it for about 4 hours yesterday and about 4 hours today.

Yesterday, the dashboard lights came on and when i turned the key, i got a 'rrrrrrrrr' sound, like it wanted to start but couldn't.

today, i got nothing, just some lights on the dashboard but not even a sound when i turned the key.

im thinking i need a new battery, but has the car ceased up?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's probably just a new battery...

Unless the gas wasn't drained, in which case anything in the fuel system could be clogged.

A squirt of a thin oil into the cylinders down the spark plug holes wouldn't hurt, to put some oil where it's probably all drained off (pistons/cylinder walls)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If it was trying to turn over it's not siezed.

You could try jump starting the car for now before investing in a new battery to see if the car will start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. my friend has lent me what seems like a proper charger , not a trickle charger, so im gonna try that , it has a meter on it and it says its only on stage 1 of 3, so i'll see how it goes and if not, try some of the help you provided and then see about a new battery

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bought a new battery for £43 ($86) and works fine now :)

After a bit of a clean the electric windows now work and the doors aren't 'stuck' lol

The car really could do with a drive through clean, which i'll make sure gets done. It's looking pretty good if you ask me.

52k miles for a 1999 car :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts