Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research for a catback for my Tibby. For what I have read, a 2.25 is big enough for my car. I have the “Y” connection to the two mufflers. 2.25 does not seem big enough for this car.

Should I go custom and what size? Would an aftermarket system be better for it? I have been told that two straight pipes with cat’s would work as well.

If I go custom, would a set of magnaflows work good for it?

What is better? The aftermarket systems are expensive.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
i went with the mussa single. they currently have it at group buy price over on nt.com. my second choice would have been ark, but the price is a bit steep. all others are just too high for me to pay for a hunk of metal.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about a custom unit?

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
custom usually ends up being the worst jobs, or so i've heard, they are heavy and usaully ugly sloppy jobs that just get the point across... mass produced are often lighter and better crafted.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
eh... Go to Midas or Bucky's or some local shop. They can get em done cheaper than other places. My exhaust was $215. All 2 1/4 inch stainless, one Twister muffler (sounds hella baddass, the exhaust in the vid clips is with a glass pack that i added on later, it was a little loud), and a 3 inch crome tip. Cat backs that ive seen online were around $350 plus. eeek...

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
The problem with "custom" also is that it is crush bent instead of mandrel bent. What does this mean? When you bend a pipe, the inside radius of the bend has "more" metal and less space (due to the bend) tha tends up cramping the bend, thus decreasing your pipe diameter. Generally it decreases it around 1/4" from what I've heard, so a 2 1/2" crush bent exhaust would have 2 1/4" bottlenecks at the bends.

Personally, I went with the ARK single as it is by far the best single-exhaust design out there. However, I got it a while ago when they were cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Originally posted by 4doorGL
[body]
Personally, I went with the ARK single as it is by far the best single-exhaust design out there. However, I got it a while ago when they were cheaper.
[/body]
Mussa is better IMO :hmmm: ark charges 300 extra bux just for titanium mufflers. i dunno, i just think ark is overpriced.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
[body]
The problem with "custom" also is that it is crush bent instead of mandrel bent. What does this mean? When you bend a pipe, the inside radius of the bend has "more" metal and less space (due to the bend) tha tends up cramping the bend, thus decreasing your pipe diameter. Generally it decreases it around 1/4" from what I've heard, so a 2 1/2" crush bent exhaust would have 2 1/4" bottlenecks at the bends.

[/body]
My Bucky's is mandrel bent :D and they about weight the same, cause that shop uses the T-104 or whatever it is stainless... and if you dont put on the 30 pound coffe can out back.. you will save weight. The two mufflers i have combiend maybe weight 12 pounds. No sh!t.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[body]

[/body]
Does ARK have a dual system?

I keep seeing these 289.00 headers on E-bay, has anyone tried these?

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
if they r the ssa headers, make sure its the version 2 set. but people have tried them and they do show good gains

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I won this the other day, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8038319997&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT The intake is a 3" in diam.

He is going to send me a set of red couplings. I want to go with a red theme in the engine bay. I have my Tiburon strut bar as well, it's getting painted right now. I had it on my 03 Elantra. That bar fits to a tee with the plastic pieces.

[Edited by peters73 on Feb 19, 2006 8:05 PM]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts