Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Stock headers cracked to hell. Bought 4-1 headers from SS Autochrome and had installed with high flow cat and resinator.
Problem:
I have already reset the ECU three or four times and have replaced both of my O2 sensors and my CEL is still coming on. After I reset my ECU it stays of for a short while but then out of the blue it comes back on. It is driving great, I can feel the performance gains but that damn light won't go away. I have yet to get to Autozone to have them check it out with the computer, but I'm sure it will give me an O2 sensor problem. The reason why I say that is cuz my car is running rich. I can smell it in the exhaust slightly and at time you can hear slight backfiring in the engine. So.........What can I do to fix this??? My thought is to get an SAFC-II or some sort of A/F ratio controller but I'm not sure if that will or will not help. What do you guys/gals think? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Do a search. The CEL is for the second O2 sensor which tells the ECU the efficiency of the catalytic converter. With the high-flow cat it thinks the cat isn't working properly. The CEL does not affect performance in any way, it's just really annoying.

There are ways to fix it, DO A SEARCH. This has been discussed 2483904839204823 times already.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SpeedRacer: Thanks for that useless reply. I figured since I explained that I was sure that I would get a O2 sensor problem reading after going to AutoZone to get them to find out what code I would get and also by sayin that my car is running rich; that implied that I am aware of the functions of the O2 sensors. I also know that the CEL will not affect performance.

Maybe I should be more precise for you. Since my car is running the same with or without the CEL light on after I reset my ECU, would an aftermarket A/F ratio controller help eliminate the sensor from thinking my cat isn't working properly when in all actuality it is. I am aware of the fact that due to the larger pipe size and higher flowing exhaust system, it is going to tell the O2 sensor that my cat isn't working properly therefore running rich.

And I have done a search, but I don't have all damn day to read through them all. Right now due to the several hurricanes that have ripped through Florida I don't have a computer due to water damage and I am doing this from work and can't spend all day on these forums.

Once again, any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
His reply wasn't useless, you just were not clear on your question.
Hyundais are built to run rich, so I don't realy think that is your problem.
There is something you can buy that eliminates the 2nd o2 sensor but I don't know if anyone has used it. The other fix is getting rid of the OBX (SSautochrom) header and buying the hotshot header. Nobody to date has gotten a cel from the HS header that I know of.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then, I appologize if I was unclear.
I don't want to spend more money on another set of headers at this time. Would an A/F ratio controller help at all? What is this elimination of the second O2 sensor you speak of and do you recommend it?

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
I doubt an a/f controller will help at all.
I won't recomend the o2 elimnator (or whatever it is called) since I don't know of anyone who has used it yet and I don't know if it even works. Do a search for it and see if you can find the info on it.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I recommend getting an aftermarket OE style cat. The reason the CEL is on is because there is too much flow in the exhaust and/or the engine is not going into closed loop soon enough. The ecu wants the cat to be fully operational within 15-20 seconds of starting the car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
................OK I know you guys mean well with giving me this information, however I am aware of the fact that my car naturally runs rich and the funciotn of the O2 sensors and all that good stuff. Right now I am not going to replace any of the exhaust system that I just got finished paying for and getting installed.

My question is as simple as this........Is there anything I can add to my car that may eliminate the CEL or am I going to just have to live with it as well as live with the fact that my car is running even richer than it previously was? I used to get 330-350 miles to a tank and now I'm lucky if I get 300-310.

Once again, Thanks in advance.

Sorry about my rudeness. I'm having a bad day and it's not even noon.

[Edited by boricuaelantra357 on Oct 1, 2004 8:45 AM]

·
Registered
324 Posts
did you get an OBD II compliance high flow cat. this could be just as simple as a bad cat or a defective O2 sensor. Also, the first sensor is a heated sensor and the the second isn't. Is there a chance that you have them backwards? Just a constructive ? to solve your little problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts
oh dear god cant we just give him a straight answer no, a SAFC is not what you need you need an o2 simulator to fool the ecu into thinking its getting a "everythings cool here" signal from that o2 sensor after the cat go to www.o2sim.com and email them and get an o2 simulator it basically fakes the o2 signal from the second o2 sensor that is causing the CEL. walla 30$ fix (also think casper makes o2 sensors but they dont define theres as universal search google for casper o2 simulator for that one)

·
Registered
324 Posts
boricuaelantra- If you don't mind, please tell us how you had your headers and O2 sensors installed to give us a picture. I have 4-1 headers from ssautochrome as well and don't have the problem that you are having. Again, just being constructive solution here...we're here to help you out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'm havibng the same problem on my eleantra gt also i have 4-2-1 header style from ssautohrome from ebay.. i reset my ecu and in 2 days the cel light comes back on.. i have full exhaust.. i aslo have a accent with the same setup and no cel and i had exhaust on my car for almost 2 years can anyone help out with an answer? also what header is autbot talking about hs header??

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Some people in the U.K. who have bought the SS Autochrome headers & `high-flow cat.` have discovered, by failing our annual emissions test (for cars older than 3 years), that the unit they were supplied is little more than a test-pipe & does not function as a catalyst should.

With the before-and-after twin O2 sensor set-up you have, would this shortcoming not ensure a CEL?........(as both sensors are seeing the same un-changed gas-flow).

Please don`t flame me, as I`m just trying to throw up some ideas for you!.
Nick.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ok. the CEL is caused by the so called "high-flow catalytic converter" that was supplied by SSAutoChrome. i have worked with SSAutoChrome so i would know pretty much how it works (and tested on my own vehicle).
first of all, that "high flow cat" is not a CAT. it is a resonator (or glasspack) to lower the sound of the exhaust. anytime you see a "high-flow cat", 90% means it is a resonator.
to solve the problem? only way is getting rid of that "high flow cat" and replace it with "real functioning cat converter". in my opinion, getting an aftermarket OE style would be about $60.00. and to get it weld is usually about $50.00. i got mine done for $70.00.
also, consider that changing/removing the cat IS illegal in US and the shops will usually not do it. so you will need to look around for cheap places. (probably the place you got it installed at).

·
Registered
324 Posts
this is where I got my super high flow cat converter. It already comes with an O2 bung for the second sensor. It might cost more than others, but worth every penny. I've had mine for two years now and never had any problem.
http://www.xtremeflow.com/

[Edited by tibmeister on Oct 11, 2004 9:45 PM]

[Edited by tibmeister on Oct 11, 2004 9:47 PM]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dude that thing is upward of 200$ holy crap! 10-15% fuel econemy increase???? Are they serious? I mean if those figures are serious then maybe that 200$ is about right LOL i mean i dont even think the dude charged me for the one he put on my car its a lil round meshy one

[Edited by phantam on Oct 12, 2004 7:50 AM]

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If you live in a state with emissions testing, you'll have to buy a decent high-flow cat, or you'll have a CEL and likely fail emissions. No one ever said going fast was cheap.

If you're lucky like me and aren't required to do emissions testing, just get a test pipe and an O2 simulator. Problem solved.

This has been discussed a thousand times and those are the two solutions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
it seems that if you have the cvvt system on your car you get a check engine light with after market headers.. so far only meand the other have full exhaust on a04 beta II engine. Is there any one out there thats has 2.0 BeatII with cvvt and no cel light after installin headers? i dont think anyone else had tried yet in my opionion.. the cat that the tiburon has on looks great but i have a obdII regulated high flow cat.. and reall y dont wanna spend 300 for one with a o2senor in it.i'm think of moving the second 02sensor if there any other idease please let me know

·
Registered
718 Posts
A test pipe? As far as i know down here we dont do emissions testing or half these smoking busses wouldnt be driving LOL.

Right now my car is
Stock headers -> OEM Cat -> Glasspack -> Glasspack -> Magnaflow muffler

Im planning to leave the stock headers till i go turbo so it should be
Stock headers - 2.5"mendral bent pipe -> Glasspack -> Magnaflow muffler
with an o2 simulator correct? What will this do to fuel comsumption?

Also i was wondering are there different grade glasspacks because the ones i have now we litterally HAD to add 2 because the damn thing was hilaciously loud without 2 of them but i'd rather just have 1 quality glasspack but im not sure how to choose or which to get

1 - 20 of 45 Posts