Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up all? I'm trying to take out all interior lightsin dash area and paint them to get rid of the ugly yellow-green color. I took out the center console and everything and actually have the a/c external unit completely loose from the car. Having a problem for a couple days now trying to get to the light bulb themselves. I cannot put this console back in until I find out how to get to them. Anybody know how to get to them? If not does anyone know how to take all or any of the a/c knobs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
First,if you haven't been there yet try;
www.superbrightleds.com
get the 74's(3) and the 194's(4) a 2 3022s for the dome and the hatch.
next a pair of needle nose pliars or really long,skinny,strong fingers...the 74's in the center twist and pull out(can't recall clockwise or counter)be gentle...
now you are going to find that the bulbs won't go back in because they are too long...yep been there...Get the drill....and with an appropriately sized bit deepen the 'well' that the bulb sits in just a bit(2-3 mm)Go Slow!! trust me and my ocd,adhd ass..you Will drill through the front of the dash if you are not extremely careful!
next blow away the dust and replace your bulbs into their sockets.
The hard part is over...
next the dash...
Take out the screws at the top of the bezel.
careful not to scratch the 'glass'(you know...the clear face...)
when the screws are out (all the way)
grasp the underside top of the bezel(through the top of the steering wheel) and pull toward self.If that makes any sense...
take out the screws that hold the gauge cluster in place and gently pull out the gauges.un plug the harnesses and look at the back...
see the 4(?) black ones(mine were black)
just like the 74's twist n pull...
pop out old bulb...pop in new bulb(LED?)
if it don't light up...
pull the bulb out,turn 180 deg and plug back in...
it'll work...trust me...
now put it back together....
The dome and hatch are yours...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh yeah...your plate bulbs in back are 194's..you'll need 2...and go by ACE and get some new screws fo them...preferably in stainless so they dont rust like the ones we all get...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you get to those lights that twist off?? I'm almost there as you see in the first post, at least I know that they twist off, but how do I find them? Mean while I will try to work on the dash part, even though you made it seem real easy.
Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya gotta get the panel all the way off...turn it opside down and look back by the wires for the controls.Theire in there...not like the black ones these are white(?) and had 2 wires coming out the back...I used a pair of 9" hemostats(roach clips) you knoe...the long skinny lockable plier things Dr's use...
thats how I got to em...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright I guess I know where ur talkin, but the back is black... I think its it though. So twist with the clips and pull gently?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aaaa, I found the bulb... But I also broke it... ****... well the b**** wouldn't come out, and I had to get down to already. the good news is that now I see how they go in and I was able to take the other out easily. I can buy the bulbs at www.superbrightleds.com?
Alright now for the dash. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem...how did get the glow through the unit to be the color you wanted? mine is still coming through that yellow-green with a red bulb... defeating the whole purpose! whats the deal? Did you just change the bulb and it was good? I am having more problems then I thought possible. I cannot figure out the dask either. I pulled it (after unscrewing it and w/o gripping very well) and it didn't really go anywhere. I then took the bottom pannel off, but that didn't matter. Hey thanks all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats great, but that is great but how do you take the control knobs off and split apart the unit? i have tried so many damn times... like you said it almost broke... I think it will... maybe i'll go to the junk yard. But how ddi you actually take it apart?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i have done this before and im visiting the junk yard, my first time going to replace the one i already destroyed, its pretty easy, you just have to be patient, to get the knobs off use a phillips flathead screw driver and pry it off where the knob is pointing, like toawrds 1 2 3 4, and blue for cold, red for hot, i pry it from one side of that arrow and then the opposite side, do it so it comes off little by little, then its a breeze, the rest is simple, i just need to be patient this time, have fun

·
Registered
228 Posts
I accually used some small nails for each of the tabs. Just kind of jam them in where the tabs are to release them and take a small flat blade screw driver and pry up on it. Its not the best tutorial I need to revise it a bit and add some more detail. If I can make it better il post it on this site cause im sure there are alot of people that could use it. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the saga continues... I got the knobs off thanks to everyone, then I started to work on the green stuff with nail polish remover. Well just lik eyou said removes the green and some white, doesn't seem very efficient. They don't make this user friendly thats for damn sure. I will continue at another time. And if anyone know about dash removal to get to the spedometer lights and such. Thank you all very much and any othe help at all.
Bobby

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm tryin to pull off the tape like film (not to easily done) with a knife and its scratching through to the display side, but not to bad. But I barely got any off!! What I thought was a little project is turning out to be a HUGE deal. Now that I 'm at this point I can't get the sticky film off from inside! Please help me if possible. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
228 Posts
for the film i use a safety pin and got underneath the film and made it rip and took tweezers and peeled it off. The spedo lights are easy just remove the cluster and take out the 194 bulbs and get colored ones.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
http://vamp.whiteazn.com

but dont use the paypal links.. i changed accounts.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Nov 4, 2005 3:13 PM]

·
Registered
228 Posts
did you have to do any of this for that kit or are thoes bulbs just plug and play.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts