Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally found a place that has a cv boot for my little accent. but i ran into a little problem taking off the rotor to get to the joint. the spindle nut wouldn't budge. i broke 1 breaker bar and bent another trying to get it off. besides soaking it with penetrating oil anybody got some advice?
much appreciated

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am assuming that you were using a 1/2 in. breaker bar and not some 3/8 in. piece of junk and that you removed the cotter pin. Heat the nut all around with a butane torch and try not to directly heat the axle. About 60 seconds should be enough. This will expand the nut an allow it to turn. Remember, like most nuts ccw takes it off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also you should probably just swap the axle....if your boot is ripped the joint itself may be damaged from lack of grease/introduction of dirt...

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I find it easier to just replace teh shaft... it takes less time, and a used shaft goes for what, $25 at a wreckers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man i had a tough enough time finding a boot from a store. im right down the street from a whole bunch of wrecking yards but no accents. ill try heating it up. although i've never had to do that before. thanks peeps

·
Registered
596 Posts
Might i direct you attension to the following image...

Notice the torque values for the Castle Nut...
Get a bit of pipe on that breaker bar...
then get some one to help you pull it...

Cheers
scythe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the diagram this oughta help alot. i put a small pipe and i think thats what helped my bar meet its demise. guess ill get a new one. and retry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts