Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, basically, I've got an excel X1 lying around with a massive coolant leak in the block. Now, rather than hunt down the leak and fix it (cause the engine has overheated and stalled a ridiculous number of times) I'd rather just chuck a bigger, newer motor in there, but I'm not sure what options are available.

Now, I'm not looking for big power, around 100kw would be nice, the main goal here is to get a fairly cheap engine that will go in with minimal fuss. So far the biggest winner is the 4G54 'astron' engine. These can be had for around $300aus from a wreckers with ecu, wiring loom etc. They did come manual, but they are rare.

The key factors that will prevent me from doing this swap are the engine mount positions, and the transaxle/flywheel/halfshaft combinations. This car will probably not be roadworthy when I'm done with it. I do want to do this properly, but if we can only do it dodgy then it can be done (I'm the kind of guy who will cut springs and weld diffs until i can afford proper fixes).

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:
Will the astron engine bolt up to whatever gearbox I've got in my X1 excel (5sp manual)?
If not, is the 5speed manual gearbox from any astron engine going to work with the X1's driveshafts?
Will the engine mounts be close enough so I can get the motor mounted (welding it straight in is plausable, current engine mounts are rooted anyway)?
If the astron engine wont fit (gearbox wise), are there any other low performance cheapo options that will fit?
Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but i think that article refers to an X2 excel.
The X2 can have a 4G63T or 4G93T (dont remember which) dropped straight in.
And member of our club "Hyper Australia" (the largest and only Hyundai car club in Australia), has recently finished such a mod, took him 4 days i think, as he already had the ECU set up from his previous car which used the same motor.
I think his best was a 12.1 down the quarter with his old car and he is hoping for better now the motor is in a lighter shell.

Feel free to join if you haven"t already.
HyperAustralia

Not sure what can fit in the X1 but if you have found one motor that can fit then i'm sure there is a larger more powerful Mitsubishi engine that shares the same mount points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gee, thanks for answering the questions I knew answers to already.

I bought the car for $400 with a full tank of petrol. It likes to oversteer in the wet cause its got positive camber on the rear. Yes i know how to drive, you countersteer and mash throttle to correct that in a FWD car. I don't want to put a $2000 engine into it.
The current engine was dynoed in at 34kw at the wheels. Yes i do want more power. No, i do not want 2L turbocharged EFI twincam power.

Now:
Does the 4G54 astron engine bolt up to the gearbox attatched to the 4G15 in my X1 excel?
If not, whats a CHEAP engine that will? I mean under $300.
If you cant answer these simple questions ill just go stick another 4G15 in it for $50, stick bigger jets in the carburettor and dodgy up a $100 turbo till that blows up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts