Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have seen, my fiance is having a lot of trouble with her little mazda. I am having trouble getting it to work and think it may have something to do with the ground wires for the engine. Just wondering if anyone knows how to test them to see if their ok. I have a multimeter but very limited knowledge on how the thing works.

Let me know so i can try that before throwing any more money at this thing.

--Aaron--

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
to make sure power can still flow thru the wire...

Turn the multimeter to ohms.. upside down U looking symbol
Touch one end to an end of the cable and the other side to the other end of the cable.
It doesn't matter what color goes to what side. Just make sure your not actually touching whatever its grounding to... touch the connector or the wires itself. If the reading stays the same as when you where not touching anything.. thats bad. If it shows a number thats good. Now you will just have to find out how much reisistance is to much with the grounds on that car. Also touch the end of the cable and the surface your grounding to and see if there is a change with the readings.. Again if stays the same as when your not touching anything with the multi something is wrong. You might need to clean the contact surface area. I hope that helps.

email me (In my profile) if you need any more help with a multimeter or just need a better discription of how to use one.

[Edited by WytchDctr on Feb 15, 2006 8:05 PM]

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help WytchDctr

Will check it tomorrow. How do I find out the thing with too much resistance?

Do you think this can be causing some of the problems im getting in the post below? Check the bottom few posts for a more accurate description.

http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=72008

Let me know what you think or anyone else.

--Aaron--

·
Registered
886 Posts
A bad ground is more of an electrical thing that other post you seem to think it is a fuel problem and you are only looking at mechanical things. The only way I could see it being related is if the ground to your computer, or a part of your ignition is bad. What is this grounding that you are checking in this post?

And what do you mean by "How do I find out the thing with too much resistance?" ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by WytchDctr
[body]
Now you will just have to find out how much reisistance is to much with the grounds on that car.[/body]
Thats what I was trying to talk about...

I didnt have any luck checking the grounds as it didnt seem to be showing anything on my multimeter. I could only find one ground in the engine bay.

In the other post Ive gone from thinking its electrical with two sensors on the throttle body, to thinking its mechanical with the fuel system, to thinking its electrical again and maybe even need a new computer. Im just looking for someone elses opinion on the whole idea. Im not great with electrical stuff thats all.

The sensor im looking to replace is a box on the top of the throttle body unit, it has a magnet in it, and it has a little bit protruding into a hole in the throttle body. Looks like it could be measuring heat. Would this be the heated o2 sensor or the auto choke thing? Could this be causing the problems?

Thanks for your help.

--Aaron--

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am good with electrical but hate computers in cars more so the sensors, I am not sure what to tell you then the other people on these boards would be more helpful for that problem. As far as the grounds though I should be able to help, there should be a ton of grounds in the engine bay, negitive battery terminal, engine block, any bolt that goes into the body. Try WytchDctr test again using one of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts