Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 accent 1.6L. I bought this computer chip on ebay that said it would boost hp up to 35, improve gas milage and what not for like 10 bux. I also bought a air intake for 30 something with shipping. Now 1 of my friends is telling me that air intake will consume more gas. Is this true? And he said the computer chip will mess up my transmission and other stuff. Is this true? Here are the links to the products I bought. Please e-mail me or post here with any help. I dont want to send him money if my gas milage is gonna go down and my car will mess up in the long run.

ebay store for chip: eBay Store - DYNAMIC TUNING: Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota

ebay store for intake : eBay Store - EautoRacing: Cold Air Intake, Short Ram Intake, Xenon Headlight

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Go for the intake but as far as the chip goes its trash. I take it that by your name you are in Houston? If so I may be able to help you out on the intake part.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
"chip" = junk. scam.

Intake's probably fine though. If anything buy another cone filter, and Amsoil or K&N flow better and are cleaner. An intake will actually help your gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. It's just making the engine work less hard at sucking air into the throttle body.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I know why your friend told you that. I also read that the theory behind combustion in engines says that for every increase in air charge a proportional increase in fuel must occur or else you run into lean engine problems.

Where the advantage of these CAI, SRI, SAI's fall into is that for a given throttle position, power is increased due to the less restrictive flow of intake air. So what you end up doing is using less throttle to come up to rpm and actually use less throttle to stay at rpm. You basically waste less fuel.

Mileage increases, and power increases so in the long run you use less fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikeyhd said:
I think I know why your friend told you that. I also read that the theory behind combustion in engines says that for every increase in air charge a proportional increase in fuel must occur or else you run into lean engine problems.

Where the advantage of these CAI, SRI, SAI's fall into is that for a given throttle position, power is increased due to the less restrictive flow of intake air. So what you end up doing is using less throttle to come up to rpm and actually use less throttle to stay at rpm. You basically waste less fuel.

Mileage increases, and power increases so in the long run you use less fuel.
Is that with the chip or the intake? I'm guessing intake. What SRI, SAI? Cai = cold air intake i'm guessing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts