Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 2008 Elantra GLS with the 5spd manual. I now have a whopping 950 miles on it. I am beginning to wonder if something in the clutch is misadjusted because I cannot reliably not drive it like a jackass.

I have driven manuals all my life including the 1998 Tibby I bought new and drove for 2 years. I have never had issues like this.

The clutch seems to engage about 1.5 inches off the floor, but it engages so quickly. I either end up dumping it and jumping off the line like I'm trying to race or I lug it because I am trying to avoid dumping it. I almost never get a nice, smooth engage. Also, if I push it into 3rd gear it grinds, but if I nudge it, it will pop into gear by itself.

Is this a normal thing for newer Hyundai 5spds? I didn't have problems like this with the one I initially test drove. I dealer-traded this one so I only took it around the block before buying it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because the dealer's service department is full of sob's and I need to tell them what's wrong with the car before they can fix it.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a 2008 Elantra GLS with the 5spd manual. I now have a whopping 950 miles on it. I am beginning to wonder if something in the clutch is misadjusted because I cannot reliably not drive it like a jackass.

I have driven manuals all my life including the 1998 Tibby I bought new and drove for 2 years. I have never had issues like this.

The clutch seems to engage about 1.5 inches off the floor, but it engages so quickly. I either end up dumping it and jumping off the line like I'm trying to race or I lug it because I am trying to avoid dumping it. I almost never get a nice, smooth engage. Also, if I push it into 3rd gear it grinds, but if I nudge it, it will pop into gear by itself.

Is this a normal thing for newer Hyundai 5spds? I didn't have problems like this with the one I initially test drove. I dealer-traded this one so I only took it around the block before buying it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because the dealer's service department is full of sob's and I need to tell them what's wrong with the car before they can fix it.
If you don't trust that dealership, I suggest taking it to a different dealer and have their technician drive your car to diagnose the clutch. Even better, have the technician sitting inside while you drive so you can point out the problem. It's a brand new car so you should get it fixed ASAP under warranty.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you don't trust that dealership, I suggest taking it to a different dealer and have their technician drive your car to diagnose the clutch. Even better, have the technician sitting inside while you drive so you can point out the problem. It's a brand new car so you should get it fixed ASAP under warranty.

+1............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts