Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know when to replace it? I am at 75,000 miles. Right now it is hard to puch down all the way but no grinding gears or anything... I am getting a whole tune up on thursday should I have them replace it or wait until it hits the fan?
Thanks all

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Put the car in third at around 30mph.. rev it up, dump the clutch, and hold the gas to the floor. If the car grabs and accelerates your good. If your rpms never drop and/or climb before dropping and you dont accelerate time to replace it. The clutch can last over 100k depending on how you drive. BTW there are a few diffrent ways to test, thats what I use.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool I guess my clutch is good (very sweet)... I did what you said WytchDctr it grabed and accelerated.
As a back up if anyone else knows any other ways for verification that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
that are other ways but they are more damaging to the clutch.. Like put it in 5th, rev it up, dump the clutch stoped and against something to keep the car from moving. If it dies.. good clutch. If it keeps running or revs free... bad clutch. IMO thats a bad idea.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if its hard to push down there could be something restricting the plow of the fluid from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. it could be clogged of the pipe could be crushed...have a look at that before you look at the actual clutch plate

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I don't know what the hell I'm doing in there so the mechanic would have to do it. My question is if he says its bad which it might be should I replace it or wait for it t get worse? The old saying says "if its not broke don't fix it".

·
Registered
91 Posts
lol, well not really in this case. if you look on the firewall probably next to the brake booster on your car, there will be a little cylinder. that is the clutch master cylinder, it should have what looks like a brake line coming out of it. follow this line down towards the transmission. there will be another cylinder on that. look at them for any signs of damage like if they have been hit by anything...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Have you checked the clutch pedal pivot point bushing? Also, it might also be the release bearing binding on the splines of the input shaft of the tranny due to corrosion, seized bearing, or a bad clutch fork. Unfortunately the only way to check this, after your clutch passes the "slippage" test as posted above and your hydraulic system and pedal is ok, is to drop the tranny and see whats causing the pedal to be hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts