Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 60K warranty is about to turn into a pumpkin, so I will have to start doing my own troubleshooting/repairs soon. Has anybody had any experience with using OBD II scanners on their cars? I am thinking about geting one that I saw at Summit Racing called the 'Auto X-Ray II' or something like that. Supposedly this thing can scan anything from my mom's 86 pontiac to my 00 elantra and everything inbetween.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
http://www.obd-2.com/

If you can get your hands on an old laptop. The normal price is around $120-$130.
If we get a group buy going, it drops to $80.

I've got the cable and software, and it is fairly decent. I've certianly saved over $120 in resetting my own Check Engine lights, and in designing new modifications for my car.

Leave it to Random to Needlessly complicate things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice toy, but it won't work for my laptop (mac powerbook), and I refuse to let Bill Gates anywhere near my engine (I can see it now, I'll get a GPF while I'm on the freeway trying to pass a semi going up a mountain). They have similar programs for palm and handspring, but I don't have one of those either. The scanner that I am thinking of costs $400.00 with cables to scan everything from my beat up '88 S-10 4X4 to my '00 hyundai. I haven't seen it in action, so I don't know if it can only read, or if it can send data as well.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I've seen the palm/handspring one, and I worry about them having the "power" to record data accurately and timely.

Damn...I wonder if the OBD-II guy makes a mac version? Probably not.

All I can really say is do your research, and ask if you can return it if you are unsatisifed. Choose wisely grasshoppa.

if you have any questions, or want me to "compare" competing models, lemme know, and I'll give it my best long distance comparison shot!

Leave it to Random to Needlessly complicate things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts