Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am interested in getting a set of coilovers for my accent. I just want to see what sort of options are out there, and what do some recommend. Stiff is ok, as long as it is compliant.

TIA,
Chasen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,

I am interested in getting a set of coilovers for my accent. I just want to see what sort of options are out there, and what do some recommend. Stiff is ok, as long as it is compliant.

TIA,
Chasen
Ok question for you, are you tracking this car more than 40% of its use? (which in my terms would be at least 2 full weekends out of 4 weekends a month all summer)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely like to, but I already have a track car. This car is my everyday driver. I want the car to have better handling and adjustability (ie. corner balancing and camber).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would definitely like to, but I already have a track car. This car is my everyday driver. I want the car to have better handling and adjustability (ie. corner balancing and camber).
Well for everyday driving i would suggest the route of an adjustable strut and a Spring with a spring rate of your desire or needs. Where i applaud your desire and knowledge of corner weighting a car and the need for camber adjustments. For a daily driven car its not needed nor is it (depending on road conditions where you are) always safe. In Detroit with our roads, you could find yourself being in a situation that does not favor a good outcome.

Now especially if you decide to pick up the G/F or a buddy or two, the corner balancing will be thrown off and again puts yourself in a potential situation for disaster, unless your G/F doesnt mind letting you make adjustments on 4 scales before the movie starts. not to mention simulating your own weight inside the drivers seat while you do this. Unless Hyundai somehow supplied you with a pit crew. Which if so, i'd like the Part number to order one of my own ;)

Again for the daily grind its not practical. but despite my experinece in the matter, it is my opinion which may or may not change your need to experience it as a failure or a blessing. However, i will tell you, a nice adjustable strut at all four corners with a stiff spring rate with a nice 22-24mm sway in the rear and some sticky tires like Falken Azenis RT615 in a 15"-16" LITE-weight wheel (9-14lbs) would do you more benefits on the street than a set of $1400. coil overs or worse, $299.00 set of cheap sleeve overs all day any day.

Do let me know what you do, id like to hear your choice and end results. and good luck. btw id id find some parts and part # for options you could research.

- Koni Special 95/97 Part # 86-2551 F / 86-2552 R. Fits 45mm Strut Housings Only.

- Koni Sports 98/03 Part # 8610-1411 Sport F / 86-2632 Sport R MUST have 49mm Strut Housings.

- Eibach Pro-Kit 9/1997 - 2005 INDICATE year. Aprox. Lowering - Front/Rear: 1.2" (4211.140, 4215.140)

- Eibach Pro-Alignment Kit 9/1997 - 10/1999 Degree of Adjust: Front/Rear: +/- 1.75

- H&R Sport Springs 95/99 # 29747 LOWER 1.4 REAR 1.3

- H&R Sport Springs 06/08 Part # 52011 Lowers 1.3" F&R still in production as of 7-29-08 no eta as of yet. Sorry

- Suspension Techniques Springs 95/05 Part # 65801, 65802, 65803 all Lower 1.4" F&R

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input.

On one of my previous cars, I put lowering springs on, and they were great...till after 10Kmiles, they prematurely wore out my shocks. I'm not saying lowering springs are bad for everyone, but that they're just not what I'm looking for.

As for throwing off my camber/corner balancing, I won't be pushing 9/10ths around town(especially with my g/f in the car ;) ) , so being a bit off balance won't be "too" bad.

Chasen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well maybe i can put something else in perspective for you too. An OEM strut in 94% of the open markets will last "TYPICALLY" 18-21K miles, an aftermarket "performance grade strut" (depending on type) should last you 30-32K.

Now something i see with lots of young Newbie Honda Civic guys is they barter themselves a sweet deal on a nice EF or EG civic (88-91/92-95). keeping in mind the minimum age is now 12yrs old of a car. The suspensions are GENERALLY stock OEM, never been swapped. so Since actual struts /shocks are such a progressive loss most people never really notice the damage less they have a serious issue. they stuff a 2" drop on it, drive it like they stole it. and scratch there heads 4 mos later wondering what happened.

not to say this was exactly your situation but, similar? more than likely. People tend not to fix anything till it breaks, ZERO preventative maintenance, other times cost effectiveness of certain modds done correctly is simply beyond what people will or should spend.

i hope ive helped in some way. i been doing this way before some cult fil made it popular. lolz but it would help if more performance shops told you what, how, and why of the product they stuffed under your arm was more about before sending you out the door with it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i'd recommend the ksports but I can't anymore at least for a daily driver. I've been using them now for 2years? on my daily driven 2000 lc and they were great until the seals started leaking. I don't put too many miles on my car, maybe 9-10,000 miles a year and this just doesn't cut it for durability imho. I was looking forward to swapping out the very worn ksports on my 99 x3 autox car for the newer ones on my lc but that isn't an option now.

I'd blame it on the roads in maryland but we have some of the best roads in the country. I have heard of problems with bad seals in the ksports so I was planning on a failure sometime but hoping for the best.

If your looking for some adjustability in i'd look into the koni inserts at least with a lowering spring that is much stiffer than stock and won't lower the car much more than an inch(there aren't any out there that I know of). You will lose too much of your suspension travel if you go any lower. I've had experience with this in the past with the eibachs. If you need camber just go with some camber bolts. The use of one should get you in the 1 degree range and if you use 2 of them you can get 2 or more degrees.

In the next few months i'm going to try to piece together a new setup using koni inserts with some sort of sleeve and custom spring rates.

If you have your heart set on a fully adjustable coilover setup i'd look into one of the korean manufacturers like t&p or quest.

I wouldn't be worried about a full corner weight unless your truly anal but i'd recommend not going too crazy on your alignment because your tires will hate you. I've worn my rear kumhos down in about 10,000 miles just from camber wear.

A rear sway bar is very helpful on the accents I use a 19mm psc adjustable rear bar. This is a copy of the whiteline bar which is the only one available now i'm pretty sure of.

all in all i wouldn't go too crazy with your daily driver. Keep your spring rates conservative if you want to keep some ride quality 7k front 4k rear is a little stiff for everyday driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Andy, I'll definitely look into the T&P and Quest stuff. Are there any other companies making sway bars, besides PSC?

·
Registered
737 Posts
whiteline should still have parts available(front/rear sway bars, strut braces, springs)

there is a main US supplier but I can't remember their website

1 - 10 of 10 Posts