Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone dont know if anybody would know but ive got on my car some G4 coilovers and in the instructions it says that have the spring aainst the pillow mount and then tigthen the colllar so there is no slack then adjust the length of the shock to lower the car but this ide seems very very hard even on fully soft so was wondering if i was to lengthen the shock then move the spring collar down the same length so there would be a gap between the spring and the pillow mounts would this give me a bit of a softer ride does anybody know as this is almost the same as having lowering spring on but the ride would be a little harder to the nature of coilovers.

·
Registered
737 Posts
your springs are what is making the car ride much stiffer than stock. The dampers contribute to it but the springs are mostly to blame. The springs used for a full coilover suspension are much stiffer than a factory spring. The ksports i'm using use a 7kg in front and a 4kg in back which is significantly more than the factory springs.

You can use springs with a lower spring rate but you will get some more body roll in return. That is one of the comprimises of using a full coilover setup on a light car.

Lowering the spring height will just limit your suspension travel which is exactly what you don't want to do.

The bottom sleeve makes it where you can lower the whole body of the shock which lowers the entire car but keeps the same shock travel as before(so your lowering the shock not the spring). This shouldn't have anything to do with the ride because you still have a couple inches of shock travel which is similar to stock.

The people using sleeve style coilovers can only adjust ride height by changing the spring height. If you lower the spring height too much it will affect your ride because your limiting the shock travel which makes the car pogo as it hits the bump stops. So basically if you lower it too much in this manner your running mostly on springs and your shocks aren't doing much to control the springs(think lowrider truck with lowering blocks).

So if you can't live with the ride try a softer spring with the same diameter of the coils you have now. You can get them through eibach, swift, h&r.... anyone that sells springs basically. I think the eibachs run about $50 a coil.

Or your other option is to use a more street oriented setup with a progressive spring like the eibach pro kits and the best strut replacement you can get. This will limit your suspension travel because most oem replacement struts are the same length as stock and your lowering the spring roughly 2 inches(which is 2 inches lost in travel). But with a progressive spring it is pretty civil in everyday driving because it uses a softer spring rate that stiffens as it compresses.

hopefully your brain hasn't exploded by now and you can understand what i'm saying(in a long drawn out way).

good luck i'm in the same boat as you right now as both of my accents ride like dump trucks and I can't have that in my daily driver, so i'm considering something new which will be my fifth try.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok the past couple of days since ive raised the car at the front a little to give me a little more clearence on my new wheels as they are a different offset so it was hitting the arch a little so like i said ive rasied it up but for some reason now on the front im getting a very bad knocking noise only from the drivers side, too me it sounds as if something is loose but me and me neighbour have gone over everything and on conclusion sounds like the shock is bottoming out as when we took it off that side was leaking. does anybody know if its able to bottom out and if so where can i get spares from on the net as emailed justjap who sell the G4 racing coilovers but they basically want me to buy a new front set which will cost me $799 plus shipping yet they had a 1 year warrenty on them and only had them i think 8 months but as i bought them from PSC that would have run out for some reason. any suggestions would help PLEASE?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts