Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..got a 2004 accent...looked everywhere for a cold air intake kit for it but couldnt find one in toronto yet.

Does anyone have any info that can help me with this?...has anyone done it?..ordering from the web?..please help..thanks

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
well, it fits decently other than a bitchy coolant hose trying to hog all the space down below..

i have the same thing and am pleased with it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i'm actually happy w the cosmo intake for my 2002 accent. but no instructions. if you get it, you'll have to cut a piece of the battery tray off, small piece w the bolt for the factory air box. cosmo intake puts out good sounds too!

·
Registered
313 Posts
oh ... one more thing, i hope you have the manual trans, auto is bigger and the cosmo intake will never fit. if you have auto, make your own

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just made my own out of ABS pipe and ran it from behind the driver's headlight to the factory airbox. Don't really feel that much performance but it sounds awesome. That said I'm still running a stock filter so that's probably the cause of my lack of performance. I've got a X3 with the 1.5. If your going the homemade route then I suggest keeping the factory airbox but cut a larger hole in it to you can run large pipe into it so you get more airflow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot guys...i will look into the cosmo racing one, that seems to be my best bet right now..yes i do have a stick shift 2004 GS...now i noticed the ontake on Cosmo saying its for the GT..will this be that big of a problem?

also for those who have done this, how pleased are you with the perfromance change?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If you have a manual transmission...you could use a CAI from an eclipse non-turbo...its like 60-70 dollars online...very good.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by raffi
[body]
thanks alot guys...i will look into the cosmo racing one, that seems to be my best bet right now..yes i do have a stick shift 2004 GS...now i noticed the ontake on Cosmo saying its for the GT..will this be that big of a problem?

also for those who have done this, how pleased are you with the perfromance change?
[/body]GT has the same engine, no problem

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
[body]

[/body]

If it's a GT..It has the 1.6L G4ED engine..which is the same as mine..
if it's a 1.5L..it's a G4EK...
as for the results..it feel's slightly livelier in the high rpm's..sound's like i'm driving a souped up acura whn i rev it...8D
but i recommend a K&N Filter to replace the cheap filter that come's with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a couple more things...what is a short ram intake and the difference between that and a CAI
and what is an intake bypass valve..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Short ram is a shorter intake piping setup, maybe 1ft long or less depending & the filter ends up behind your battery

Originally posted by indefactorX
[body]
well, i'll try to explain this in as few a words as possible

short ram intake - Better than stock intake
pro's:
fastest overal throttle response due to less distance the air has to travel compared to the stock intake and CAI
more horsepower in your higher RPM ranges
great for high reving engines
cons:
higher risk of heat soak which will rob your horse power due to the filter being deeper inside the engine bay
the horsepower gain is more noticeable in the upper rpm's usually ranging from 6k and up..

CAI - better than stock
pros:
Colder air enters the engine due to the filter being far foreward from heat sources which translates to your engine gaining a richer air content
increased throttle response over the stock intake system due to a much more constant pipe diameter, but not as good of response as short ram
power increase is fairly constant through the entire rpm range
Cons:
harder to install in some cases
throttle response is better but not as good as a short ram
run the risk of waterlogging your engine in the rain

And to answer your last question, there is no way that the CAI will crack your engine block with outside temperature air, Even people with interfreezer systems (A CO2 system that supercools incoming air from your intake to sub 0 temperatures) run low risk of cracking their blocks

There are systems available (IE: the ones available from WeaponR) that are convertable from Shortram to CAI Ram intake, which is essentially a shortram intake with a removeable extension pipe that attaches to the end of their intake cone.... These systems are nice for two reasons
1: You can have the bennefits of both systems
2: You can remove the extension for the ram air in the event of rain so you run 0 risk of water entering your engine...

I hope i've said everything in a manner that everyone can understand...

Please correct me if i'm wrong

[/body]

·
Registered
313 Posts
[body]
a couple more things...what is a short ram intake and the difference between that and a CAI
and what is an intake bypass valve..
[/body]
bypass valve will help keep you from water logged, which is almost common w the cold air intakes that are close to the ground. the engine will pull most of the air through the bypass valve if the filter is soaked i believe, correct me if i'm wrong anyone...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 03 Accent GT and I have a universal exhaust put on with a short-ram intake put on. And I want my car to sound louder and better with a deeper growl...so would an non-turbo eclipse CAI fit in a automatic....maybe if I moved the batteries over?

·
Registered
50 Posts
"da_moose" COULD YOU PLEASE POST PICS ON YOUR INTAKE! also maybe some info on how to build me one?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah I've been meaning to take some pictures of it for a while but seeing as there is a request and I have time tomorrow I will post some up tomorrow. It's pretty self explainatory from the pictures but I'll let you in on my secrets LOL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts