Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey..when i start my car early in the morning after leaving it over night or so..the car would take like a few seconds of cranking(chugging)before it would start and sometimes it would idle high, the engine feels like its jumping and once i had it stall on me, but once i turn it back on it ran ok. After starting...it would rev up to 2k or a lil higher and go down slowly while having the engine feel shaky or pulsing. Also..when i try to accelerate...it feels weird since the car doesn't roll until i actually press on the gas...usually it would start rolling after i let off the brakes, but it seems like it doesn't want to move until i press the gas pedal. What can cause this?
I also tested the loading on my car with all the electronics on...with everything on...it reads 13.9-14.0, but once i turn on my headlights..it goes straight down to 12.4. What can be the cause of this? I do have an HID, but I don't know how this could affect it. If anyone has any ideas on what is causing either or both problems...please post. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas? I know someone has to know something.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know what the problem can be? Why does my voltage go down once the headlights are being used?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Where is the voltage dropping?
At the battery or the alternator??

If its dropping at the batter then your alternator isnt hacking it...
If its at the alternator i think that normal (i think)

Keeping in mind i know nothing about car electrics...

Cheers
^scythe^

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is it driveable? Automatic or Manual? 1.6? any CEL's?
If you could drive it you should be able to take it to an autoparts store and have them check the charging system.
Change the plugs? Water in the fuel lines?

Sorry I can't be more help..

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It runs pretty well after warming up. I only checked the voltage at the battery and trying all the electronics in the car one at a time. They are all consistant except when the headlights are on, then it goes down to around 12 volts until I turn it off, it will go back to 14V. I changed the plugs back in October or november. It seems like its hard to find a good shop that can determine what's draining my battery or electrical system.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Okay...

1st. Haven't you ever seen on iPods or other electrical devicies, "Performance may be reduced in cold temperatures"? Well, the same concept applies to the car battery. Depending on how cold it is, the battery can drop upwards of 60% of maximum power. That's an EXTREME, but a 20% decrease isn't uncommon.

Another thing is that cold oil = thicker oil. It is harder for the engine to crank when it's cold. I live in Alaska, and it's not as cold as people think, but it avgs about 10-20 at night. We all have engine block heaters up here because it keeps the engine heated. Try looking into one of those. It's about 200 to install at most shops.

Howie~

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you are having a leaky injectorfor the cold start problem. or a weak fuel pump.

Anyway, with your car on idle, it's likely that voltage drop down to 12.xxV
try rev it to 2000 rpm and do the same whatever test you are doing.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can I tell if it is a leaky injector? Last time I went to the dealer...they told me I needed a fuel injector cleaning...but I didn't really believe them. It does feel like a weak fuel pump whenever I turn off my car for example at a gas station, then fill the car with gas and turn the car on after, it would crank and start..but very slowly. For the 12V thing, even at idle..it reads 14V, but once I turn on the headlights, it drops down the 12V...only when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Got the same type of problem on my Elantra and cant figure it out but hope to by this sat have some of idea of whats going on. I know that my car smells like fuel but cant be found visibly with any leaks etc..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Your hid's are probably drawing a lot of power....even stock your headlights draw quite a few amps. If you watch the tach closely at idle you'll see the revs drop about ten or even twenty rpm when you hit the headlights. In fact my subaru has its idle speed specified with the headlights off in the owners manual. As long as you see a charge dont worry about it. Use the ammetter on your voltmeter to check this at the alternator. You should get a positive rate of charge. Your battery will be affected by the cold too so keep that in mind. It takes a lot of juice to crank that motor over when its cold outside. As far as your idle problem Id check for a vacumn leak. Not many hoses in an accent but your brake booster hose or whatnot may be the case.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. How do I test the alternator with my voltmeter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
ok so heres how ya do it....Either an analog or digital meter is fine. You'll want to switch it to measure amps. It should have a setting for it. Im not completely sure right now though. Anyway, under normal conditions it should read just to the right of zero. A negative amount indicates drain and a positive amount will indicate charge. When you flip on your headlights you should see the needle or value "blip" but it should stabilize. If it stablilizes within a reasonable amount of time...say a couple seconds..your voltage regulator is good. Now your second test (with headlights off( is to simply observe the ammeter. Excessive charge and it should be quite apparent if it is doing so means a bad battery. Excessive drain is a bad alternator. If your voltmeter doesnt have this capability just get a hold of a cheap automotive ammeter gauge and hook it up to your alternator. Just be sure to use at least 14 to 10 gauge wire and get a good ground. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Doesn't really matter about the voltage, as long as you battery is charging and you don't have to jump start it.

You need the AMPs output, the voltage changes according to speed and load anyway....

The think about the "leaving the car for a few hours or more and it takes more to crank to start it" kinda tells me that you lose your residue pressure when your car is not running (pump off)....
There's only 2 place it will go, leak out (injector of course, cuz you can't smell the gas around the car outside), or leak back into the pump.

TRY a reputable brand of fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of 94 gas. Also with the car NOT running, get a spray can of throttle body cleaner, spray onto a clean rag & inside the throttle body, and wipe around the butterfly plate and sidewall inside the throttle body (by taking the intake plumbing off and fliping the throttle with engine off ofcourse).

·
Registered
192 Posts
If that method don't help.
take off your spark plugs, look inside, see if any one or more of them is more cleaner than the others.
Read the spark plug, see if any one or more of them is wet...
If one or 2 of them is bad, u can replace those injectors...

If it looks fine, i will suggest you replace the fuel pump because the one way check valve might be bad.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that good info. I'll check my fuel injectors since the last time the dealer checked them...they said i needed a cleaning. But i'm still clueless to what is draining my battery if i leave it plugged in for 2 days. I tried over night and it cranked ok, but the car died, then i turn it back on and the idle is kinda jumpy and feels like its going to stall, so i turn it off and then on again, and the car runs fine after warm up. After 2 days, the car is totally dead and I don't know much about electric, How can i check if there is a electric leak or something?

·
Registered
842 Posts
my cold start problems were typically due to air leak (someone from intake or throttle body) or bad grounds. check, clean, and retighten all grounds. also if you can add a few home made ones. my x3 would start off at 14.3v and drop to 13.9v after warm up and sometimes 13.5 w/ headlights. i think anything lower than 13 indicates a problem in the charging system (alt. or ground)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh btw, i just read your description of your car.. you got underdrive pulley.
I think that's your problem for the lower voltage. Your charging system is fine. Just that at idle it's not giving all the voltage. But I guess you won't be leaving your engine on idle most of the time right? :)
So your system is fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts