Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a motor swap from a 2000 elantra 2.0L into a 96 elantra. I'm going to replace all of the belts and hoses while I have the engine out including the timing belt. Is there any other common problems that go bad around 100k miles that would be easy to fix while I have the engine out?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Not that i know of, im at 140k and still going strong! The engine is bulletproof man, i dont think there is much you have to worry about. If you want to though, since its out, do a total rebuild. Also, since its the 2.0, get the 1.8 cams, they have better lobes i guess for the 2.0, more power, better gas mailage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I though everything in the head of the 2 beta engines was the same only the crankshaft and the flywheel where a little bigger in the 2.0. I'm also converting this car to a 5 speed the things I've noticed so far is that 2 of the bolt holes don't line up on the shifter and box is in the spot where the clutch pedal is suppoed to go. Any suggestions on doing that swap? Also how would you rig the reverse lights when I do the conversion?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Originally posted by 1996elantragls
[body]
I'm doing a motor swap from a 2000 elantra 2.0L into a 96 elantra. I'm going to replace all of the belts and hoses while I have the engine out including the timing belt. Is there any other common problems that go bad around 100k miles that would be easy to fix while I have the engine out?
[/body]
while you're in there, how about the water pump?

[Edited by rbuecker on Feb 17, 2006 5:10 AM]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really have the money to fork out for the water pump, besides the pump is only 6 years old, hopefully it should still have some life left in it. The belts and hoses are cracked so I figure that is a good place to start.

I still can't figure out the wiring for the reverse lights???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your reverse lights are gone unless you hook up a toggle or button for them,,,I did a auto to manual swap on my elantra...you have to move the ecu and stuff for the pedal but you can secure them under the dash with out having to go far with them,,,,and the 1.8 cams are better in the 2.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts