Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** Noob alert **

I just bought a 2004 Accent last week that has 14" wheels and a set of well-worn 185/60-14 tires. I've driven it in the rain a few times and it's slipping around quite a bit, most likely due to the old tires.

I want to move up to 15" wheels with 195/50-15 tires, but I'm a bit concerned about how my car will handle in the rain. I see a lot of people on the board have 195/50-15's on their Accent, so I'm curious as to how driving in the rain is working out for said people.

By increasing the size of the contact patch, will I get considerably less traction on wet pavement? If so, will getting quality tires take care of this issue?

Thanks in advance! On a side note, really enjoying my Accent :)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The tire chosen has more to do with traction than wheel size.

Added width can contribute to hydroplaning issues, but if you buy any all season (or 3 season) tire you should be fine.

I've run tires as big as 215/35/18 with no trouble with wet traction. Much better than the stock 14's. Now I have 205/40/16's and it's never been better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
187sks said:
The tire chosen has more to do with traction than wheel size.

Added width can contribute to hydroplaning issues, but if you buy any all season (or 3 season) tire you should be fine.

I've run tires as big as 215/35/18 with no trouble with wet traction. Much better than the stock 14's. Now I have 205/40/16's and it's never been better.
Good stuff, thanks for the info! 15's would look so much better than the 14's.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
195/50r15 Hankook RS-2's are awesome, but don't last very long.

I have Hankook Ventus HR-II's right now, but haven't had any rain (Live in Vegas... Nice desert...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03-Accent-03 said:
195/50r15 Hankook RS-2's are awesome, but don't last very long.
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into tires right now and any other suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If price is not a major concern mount real snow/ winter tires on your stock rims and put some Bridgestone RE01r 195 50 VR 15s on your new rims. I have some Bridgestone RE03s on my 99 Accent and they stick like glue in the dry and are great in the rain. They will aquaplane in the deep stuff but will run rings around a stock tire on wet roads. The 03s do wear rather quickly so don't expect more than 10K miles if you test their limits a lot.

BTW Wide tires and bigger rims cut your gas milage, top end and lessen your acceleration due to higher friction and the higher moment of inertia of the tire/wheel combo.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Plus sizing your wheels should'nt adversely affect your driving when you're going from a 14 to a 15 inch wheel. If you were upgrading to a 17, you would definately feel a difference. The more wheel you have, the less tire you have cushioning your ride, so the rougher it will feel and the more bumps you will feel also, but you should barely feel a difference between an inch upgrade. Just get nice tires, and you'll be fine. I ride 2 different sets of wheels for summer/fall and winter/spring and it's relaly useful. BFG G-Force KDW for summers and Michellin X-Ices for winter. I just switched over to the Dunlop M3 Winter Performance tires, and I wonder how they will work this winter.

Howie~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff, thanks for the tire suggestions. Cost is an issue, so I will definitely only be buying one set of tires, but I plan to get a good set.

Thankfully, winter where I am is very mild... we rarely get any snow, so a good set of all-seasons usually does the trick.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The RE-01R's are the best street tires I've ever driven on. Stick like glue (as sticky as my old Victoracers were) and great in the rain at full tread. I'd expect to get 8-10k miles out of them though. The Hankook RS-2 Z212's were good too, and cheaper. However, if you get either of these you will NEED winter tires for cold weather. Snow isn't the only issue, cold temperature will harden the rubber in the tires and make the grip level they offer low. Dedicated winter tires FTW, and it helps your tires last long anyways.

If I needed an all season, the Bridgestone RE-960 is a great tire.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I love the falken ziexs and toyo proxes, if you go on edgeracing.com thier pretty cheap even after shipping. the only advantage to the falkens is it has a rim protcter(extra rubber on the side so u dont curb rash your wheels)

·
Registered
5 Posts
bridgestones G009 is a good all around tire, great wet and dry traction, half decent in minor snow. sold a bunch out of my shop and customers are very pleased all around. surprisingly great handling as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts