Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot of stuff here on intakes. I am really leaning towards just getting a k and n panel filter because of all the differing views on cai / wai, etc.
I don't see any dyno results to back any manufacturers claims up, either.
Also, if you are taking a 3" tube and reducing it to the stock tb and intake runners, etc. aren't you really not adding any diameter at all? Kind of like trying to pour a dump truck full of rocks through a tiny funnel?

It seems to me unless you go all the way and get a bigger tb and intake manifold it really is a bunch of looks and sounds and may actually hinder / cause other problems.

I am tired of being a mod company's tool, lol! Any thoughts / real dynos to show me something proven to work?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well on my accent I have the short ram intake.
My view on it is:
1 last filter you have to buy.
2 The intake makes enough sound that after you have learned to "attach" the sound to the way the car is using the availabe power.
For example If I "floor it" my car is actually slower than if I ease into it.
also the intake gets a real deep sound under heavy load, so once the intake sound reaches a certain tone. I know how much more power I have available. (not much)
So it probably doesn't add enough power for most people to even notice. But on the other hand once you've learned how it sounds at peak power then you'll understand the difference a short ram intake will make.
3 I almost forgot that a smooth inside on an intake is more effeciant than a ribbed one.
I also never noticed how bad my spelling is!
When I say "peak power" I'm refering to torque not hp.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ozone said:
Well on my accent I have the short ram intake.
My view on it is:
1 last filter you have to buy.
2 The intake makes enough sound that after you have learned to "attach" the sound to the way the car is using the availabe power.
For example If I "floor it" my car is actually slower than if I ease into it.
also the intake gets a real deep sound under heavy load, so once the intake sound reaches a certain tone. I know how much more power I have available. (not much)
So it probably doesn't add enough power for most people to even notice. But on the other hand once you've learned how it sounds at peak power then you'll understand the difference a short ram intake will make.
3 I almost forgot that a smooth inside on an intake is more effeciant than a ribbed one.
I also never noticed how bad my spelling is!
When I say "peak power" I'm refering to torque not hp.:)
Okay, so really other than the sound, maybe the tubing is better. Of course, like I said, if the tb is still small, it can only get so much air, so why don't they just make a 2" or whatever intake and save money?

Gotta ponder......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I suppose they use 3 inch because not all cars have as little a throttlebody as ours.
So instead of buying multiple sizes pick a good size and buy in bulk, thus making more money! Every after market intake I've seen looks to be about 3 inch. I've seen a few:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made my decision !
The factors:

1> The piping issue - I have to agree that a mendrel t305 aluminum pipe will be smoother than a rubbery ribbed for her pleasure mess.
2> Price - I got my new intake off of ebay for $39 shipped. A k and n panel is about the same price and stock is just no option because that's a waste altogether.
3> WAI - I found one with a aluminum heat shield included that will keep most of the engine heat away. Also, I am going to leave most of the stock airbox in so the ducting from my front fender blows cool air or allows sucking of cool air to the new filter - same idea the $150 k and n system has in mind - a mini ram air.
4> Cool factor - I like looking in my engine bay and seeing a wai!
5> Forum searches - looks like most accent owners are pleased with a wai
6> Hydrolock - I am an avid snowboarder - live in Reno and will be using this thing to go up the hill in major snowfall. Anything even near the bottom of the engine bay would suck up road salt, grim, water, snow, etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hydrolock isn't usually an issue in snowy climates. It only occurs when your filter is COMPLETELY submerged in water and starts to sucks it up through the intake like a straw. Hyundai's usually have a better performance gain through short ram intakes.

The panel filters usually are the best because a lot of states have emission laws, and even though they're CARB regulated, it's still illegal.

Howie~

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Asian_907 said:
Hydrolock isn't usually an issue in snowy climates. It only occurs when your filter is COMPLETELY submerged in water and starts to sucks it up through the intake like a straw. Hyundai's usually have a better performance gain through short ram intakes.

The panel filters usually are the best because a lot of states have emission laws, and even though they're CARB regulated, it's still illegal.

Howie~
Yeah, I guess maybe hydrolock was a little drastic - I think I am more concerned with just a bunch of salty dirty crap. I usually have to hose off the undercarriage a few times a season and am not sure how that junk would clog a filter!

NV has no problem with cais / wais/ headers, etc. as long as you don't mess with the emissions stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
good job

It sounds like you ahve done your homework. You are correct about a cold air intake to a point. You are not adding any more air because of TB & intake manifold etc., but you are increasing flow and velocity. Which is what is needed to produce low end power. I put just a K&N in my 05 elantra and there is no performance gain (I just hate changing air filters). Now yes you will hear your intake with a panel filter, but that doesnt mean power, that just means you can hear your intake. If you have your heart set on a CAI i would say go for it, but take a Dremel and some sand paper and bore out the throttle body and if you have the know-how gasket match the intake manifold (there is a great article with pics on how to do this in this forum), and both those things are free. No gaurantee that you will gain NOTICABLE power, but you will gain some low end power. Also an aftermarket ECU will help your computer adjust to having more air so you dont run lean (thats why when you punch that gas off that line, it stutters)

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
scotto46 said:
Okay, so really other than the sound, maybe the tubing is better. Of course, like I said, if the tb is still small, it can only get so much air, so why don't they just make a 2" or whatever intake and save money?

Gotta ponder......

cuz nobody likes to look at lil penis piping. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts