Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the owner's manual it says that the LC uses 5.5 litres of coolant. Does that include what is in the overflow resevoir? I doubt it but you never know

also does the rad make up for 50% of the coolant? meaning is half the coolant in the rad and the other half in the block or is there more in the rad?

[Edited by pare_john on Jan 26, 2004 10:19 PM]

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
if it says 50/50 mix, of the 5.5L, half would be water. mix it all up, and pour in the rad. and reseviour. when filled, run the car for about 5 mins. turn off, let cool a min., open rad cap. fill again to full. check and fill reseviour as well. if youre a bit sketchy still, run it again and again recheck it all.
when it says 50/50 mix, i believe it means the entire bit..hope this helps.
and add water wetter. *tip* if the radiator doesnt leak, never put in the stop leak sht, ever! i also wouldnt recommend flushing it either. just drain and fill. if you choose to flush it, do it a few times. not just once or twice. if youre gonna loosen up shvt, make sure to get as much out as possible. but just drain/fill.

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question was does the 5.5L include what goes into the resevoir or is that only what goes into rad and block.

BTW 50/50 is an ok mix for warmer areas around here a 60/40 is a much better mixture.

your explanation is not good for the fast that after flushing the system you are going to have water remaining in the block, since there seems to be no coolant drain plug on the block.. So making a mixture of 5.5L is no good cause there will be abour 2.5L of water in the block remaining. So you will want to add 3L of straight coolant to the rad so you get the desired 60/40. The thing is for me to make my calculation I need to know if the 5.5L includes the resvoir

[Edited by pare_john on Jan 27, 2004 12:02 AM]

·
Registered
242 Posts
a little off-topic, but there was a time when my coolant reservoir was completely empty. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
figure it does. and if it still needs to be topped off, top it off w/ coolant. in all honesty, it isnt as serious as the proper mix of chemicals for an H-bomb. it can be a bit under/over(dunn. :D). you dont need to stress it so much.
and yes, the trapped water can cause corrosion. i didnt want to type up a service manual here!:lol:

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I came off as a jckass, was not my intention. Thanks for helping.

As far as trapped water goes, water will never get trapped in the passage ways for the si ple fact that there is always movement in the canals of the cooling system.

I am aware that it is not like making a bomb, LOL but considering the temps we ger here the last thing you want it too much water in your mixture.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Originally posted by 5050
[body]
a little off-topic, but there was a time when my coolant reservoir was completely empty. Should I be worried?
[/body]
Mine's empty right now, but there's lots in the rad.

John, are there markings on the overflow reservoir for "cold" and "hot"? I can't remember if my car has them, but I know my dad's old Caravan did. I'd think that since you'd only want to service the cooling system with the engine cold, the 5.5l would fill it up to the "cold" line, giving the coolant some room to expand as it warmed up, and avoiding having a whole lot of it spill out of the reservoir.

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah you are most likely correct chris. the way I have it now it is to the full line when it is cold and I never get spillage. the resevoir has enough room left over to accomodate for extra during expansion.

But what i will do is onlt fill to the cold and after a hot run see what happens and top off as necissary

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
jackass:paranoid: j/p! i didnt take it that way....
if youre worrying about the cold, you answered your own question. :D
go w/ 60/40. although i must say this is the mix i went w/, and my tib takes forever now to warm up. so, i guess i would need more coolant/antifreeze??

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 1stgentibs
[body]
jackass:paranoid: j/p! i didnt take it that way....
if youre worrying about the cold, you answered your own question. :D
go w/ 60/40. although i must say this is the mix i went w/, and my tib takes forever now to warm up. so, i guess i would need more coolant/antifreeze??

[/body]
actually it is the water in the mix that traps the heat. Water stores heat better then antifreeze

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
sooo maybe i need more water???? before i changed it out and replaced the water pump, i never had this problem. do you think the waterwetter fvcked shvt up??
should i just drain it all and refill??

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never use that water wetter stuff, regular distilled water is fine.

if your car is taking a long time to warm up i suspect it is a bad thermostat that is stuck open.

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[body]
yea, you know i've been considering that. plus, when i turn the heat on, itll smell for a bit. makes me dizzy!:duh:
[/body]

what kind of smell? the smell of antifreeze?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
no, just a horrible exhaust type smell. i'm thinking more along the lines of the heater coil. i think it might be burning out, which is why it smells at times...
there are too many maintenance problems than i can deal w/. i still need a job!!damn.

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[body]
no, just a horrible exhaust type smell. i'm thinking more along the lines of the heater coil. i think it might be burning out, which is why it smells at times...
there are too many maintenance problems than i can deal w/. i still need a job!!damn.
[/body]
all the heater core is is a rad that aloows the hot coolant to pass through it. then a fan blows the heat into the car.

If you are smelling exhaust fumes themn it sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just curious, how do you figure you still have 2.5l of water left in the block after the flush?

Also, a general tip - when you refill a cooling system that has been completely drained you will get air bubbles in various spots in the engine that prevents it from being filled to capacity. The easiest way to purge is park on an uphill angle, pull the cap off(engine cold of course) and start it and let it run until the t-stat opens. Do this a few cycles while 'burping' the upper hose into the radiator and topping off the fluid.

If you can here the sound of moving liquid from inside the cabin when you start it up or when it gets to full temp and the t-stat opens, then you still have air in there.

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am estimating. The rad holds about 2.5 litres, the resevoir about .5 to first mark. so since the capacity is 5.5L then there remains about 2.5L in the block.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
funny you should say that, cause I DO have an exhaust leak. either from thecat-back gasket, or/and from the flex pipe. I know that i can see some exhaust coming from around the manifold when i gas it up underhood. i couldve just done a shvtty job putting on the manifold. i PROBABLY did a bad job. some times i just want to get it done.
I realize I have some maintenance issues to deal w/, and if it wasnt so fvckin cold out, i'd do em! oh well...:(

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by pare_john
[body]
I am estimating. The rad holds about 2.5 litres, the resevoir about .5 to first mark. so since the capacity is 5.5L then there remains about 2.5L in the block.
[/body]
You are forgetting the heater core and the hoses. The block might hold 1.6 liters and the core/hoses should be around a liter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts