Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

coolant gauge keep going up

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Jsharptooth91 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 1.5L accent. I just came back from a trip. The car has been setting for a month and a half. The heat gauge only goes up when the car is idle. First thing i did was change the thermostat. But it seems that didn’t fix the problem.

Any suggestions on what else could be the issue. or if anyone has had this happen before.

I just don’t want to start replacing parts

#2 ·
So the Accent won't heat up unless you're at idle?

Does your heater blow out warm air? if so I suspect your temp sensor or gauge itself has issues.

If not I suspect your fan or fan switch has issues and is stuck on all the time or that your new thermostat is not functioning properly. You can boil your old thermostat to see if it was functional when removed. It's not impossible to get a new faulty thermostat. I've had it happen.

#3 ·
The car heats up just fine. Its when i set idle, like in drive threw or something like that the heat gauge goes up. But when i drive it goes down. The fan turns on when im idle and just sitting their. Like it designed to do. I could check my old thermostat and see whets up. I have seen this happen before and replaced the thermostat and everything good.

I think the next step is the sensor and then the water pump. But first checking the thermostat will be wise.

As for the heater it blows warm air. I didnt noticed once when I was idle, the gauge was at normal temp and blew cold air.

#4 ·
Ok, so it overheats when sitting idling? That could be lots more things.

Clogged radiator would be an easy one to try to fix by flushing it out and refilling with coolant. You could also take off the radiator cap and see if there is turbulence in the system from a leaking head gasket or warped head.

#5 ·
Ok, so it overheats when sitting idling? That could be lots more things.

Clogged radiator would be an easy one to try to fix by flushing it out and refilling with coolant. You could also take off the radiator cap and see if there is turbulence in the system from a leaking head gasket or warped head.
I can check that as well. The car was runninng fine before i left and was sitting for a month and a half witn no one starting it. due to a dead battery. I came home and changed my oil and drove the car around. runs fine and just like it use to before i left. I will check that stuff out as well.

Any more ideals?

#6 ·
Alright, it looks like the problem is fixed. It needed a new water pump. When i would sit idle the pump would just pump at idle speed. Then when i rev up the motor the pump spins faster.
In other words I let the temp gauge go up, then i rev'ed up the motor and the gauge went down.

I works again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.