Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife was going to pick up our daughter yesterday in our Tuscani Clone GT and it started to "sputter and smoke" she said. She said that it had no power going the rest the way home which is only like 2 miles. She said she turned it off and cranked it back up. It didnt hesitate or anything it just started right up so to me that seemed to rule out a blown head gasket seeing that usually it has to build up a lil compression first to be able to go ahead and kick off. Until I took the plenum (or upper intake) off and saw that the back three cylinders had antifreeze on them. Well that kinda ruled out the timing belt crashing the valves cause the coolant would have leaked down into the cylinder already.
I guess my question is, is there a coolant line or a gasket problem associated with these 2.7s or is there something in the heads that make them do this? Thanks for all the help and reading this book I have now published on this nice forum yall have. And it does look great by the way.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The only thing that I can add is that if you run low on coolant aluminum heads warp in a flash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The antifeeze was still pretty full. Im suspecting the throttle body being cracked with hairline a fracture.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Why would coolant run through the TB?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That would be a good guess on to the problem. Was the coolent dripping on the aft cylinders?
Thottle bodies have coolent running through them to keep them from freezing in cold conditions.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Son of a gun your right. I just looked at mine and hidden under it were 2 coolant lines. It sure looks like a TB problem to me also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was meaning with a hairline fracture, I have been working 12 hr nights and coming home and working on this thing until 5 or 6 and getting a few hrs sleep and doing it again so my spelling and grammar is sucking bad. I cut the cat off to see if that was stopped up, cause it seemed to have a flow problem and it smells like gas something awful. My scanner seemed to come up messing last time my stupid shxx brother-in-law as here so I will trailer all the way to auto zone to get it scanned tommorrow. I will buy another this week I guess. Working for MAHLE Inc. is good money but not that good, to buy one of those every week anyways. well anyother help would be great.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
rocconi said:
Why would coolant run through the TB?
Why not? It does it in my 1984 Pony, and it continues to do so though EVERY CAR I'VE EVER WORKED ON.

In any case, have someone do a leak-down test, or at the very least, a proper compression test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already did a leak down and a compression test. Hell I was suprised at 82,000 miles that it has 180 psi +/- 3or4. I got rid of the coolant prob. I have a bad gas flooding prob. now. I guess I may need to go get the computer reflashed. I dont know it may have lost some of the parameters for the fuel scale.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok this problem is bad. It is running way too rich. It is running raw gas vapor through the exhaust. I lit the exhaust on fire today, thats how potent it was. The injectors are suppose to read 15.9 ohms at 68 deg. F. but they are reading 14.6 at 54 deg. F. Could this be because of the lower ambient temperature? Surely all six arent bad. At least I hope not, there $109.99 a piece. Unless someone has a used set for sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Waderacin said:
Ok this problem is bad. It is running way too rich. It is running raw gas vapor through the exhaust. I lit the exhaust on fire today, thats how potent it was. The injectors are suppose to read 15.9 ohms at 68 deg. F. but they are reading 14.6 at 54 deg. F. Could this be because of the lower ambient temperature? Surely all six arent bad. At least I hope not, there $109.99 a piece. Unless someone has a used set for sale.

Dont go replacing them just yet their are alot of things that could trip this rich mixture. then you find out that your still runing rich even after replacing all six . seems to me your injectors are not the problem.

thing like MAF, MAS, IAT, all affect how rich your car will be... is this only at idle ? or does it happen at W.O.T and cruising ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont have the right equipment to monitor the system. I wasnt going to just start trowing parts at it. I just got it going a couple of days ago because of the throttle body. I guess I will be taking it to Hyundai tomorrow, Im tired if f ing with it, and Im tired of my wife drive my Lightning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry its a bad habbit I, myself am a tech hopefully soon to be certified in masters in Nissan. Well when you bring it to hyundai tell me what they found im curious to hear what the problem is. sorry i couldn't help Good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was just thinking, perhaps the antifreeze messed up the O2 sensor. That could account for the rich mixture all of a sudden.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope thats all it is, but it is dumping fuel in even when the engine isnt running. (I think) The motor will be locked up with so much fuel if you leave the keys in the on position. the other day trying to get it off at the hyundai dealership it backfired and locked up. POS......frustrated as hell...

·
Registered
256 Posts
you may have melted the back injectors rare but possible also you need to inspect/replace your spark plugs because antifreeze-water burns hotter than a normal fuel mixture. that is why somebody will come into my shop saying that the car started to run great then just made a funny sound and quit. if the injectors are sticking i would say that it is one of 3 problems a signal problem from the computer a debris problem holding them open or a melting/failure problem.
keep us updated on what you find

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the shxx hit the fan today. I went to the dealership to check on it and they showed me a hole in the oil pan. When I trailered it to the dealership i had to leave the key on so I could roll the window down to release the ebrake. It was raining otherwise I would have left the window down and shut the key off but the door was next to the trailer fenders, so no room to get in. When I got there I went to back it off and it backfired and just clicked after that. It was locked up (to much fuel in the cylinders). So we pushed it off, but there was no pieces of oil pan on my trailer and no oil on the trailer or on the shop floor where I dropped it off at. So I think they screwed the pooch on this one and blew the motor. But there is no way to prove it and there would be no way they would take responsibility for that even if they did. All they have to say is that it came in that way. Ether way the problem will be resolved with a new motor. I will be getting a loan tomorrow to get one, maybe. DAMN IT.....:mad:

·
Registered
256 Posts
shoulden't your motor be under warentee unless you have it modified past and intake exhaust and other simple mods it should still be covered

·
Registered
4 Posts
that is straight out bull I cant believe their trying to get you to pay for it. If it ran in with oil and know lights emitted with no trail of oil bringing it in then. it might of back fired and shot a whole in the oil pan. that car definitly has some sort of leaking injectors. And it shouldnt void warantee unless anything you put on could have caused the car to have fuel problems leading to the engines demiss. tell that hyundai dealership to screw off !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts