Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone interested in a sort of decompression plate (thicker headgasket) I had contacted GasketWorks before I had gone turbo to see what they offered. the e-mail is below. possibly a future group by for those interested? the reason i chose copper and this company was because of their dealings with my old stomping grounds, turbododge.com.

Jason:

I don't have this gasket pattern on file. So, if you want me to make a
custom one-off gasket for this...

cost of making a single gasket is $150.00 and you would need to supply the
old gasket to copy from. The thickness would be at your discretion from
.022 to and including .063". thicker material is more expensive. Two
gaskets ordered at same time is $200.00

M. Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
626.358.1616 voice (GMT - 8)
626.357.9490 fax
www.headgasket.com

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:19 PM
Subject: GasketWorks WebSite: Request Hyundai 1.5l

> Hi,
>
> I have a 1996 Hyundai Accent 1.5l SOHC engine that I've turbo-charged. I
> was looking for a copper headgasket to lower compression. The motor code
>is G4EK and compression right now is around 10:1. I was wondering if you
>make a gasket for this engine, and what options are available as well as
>pricing.
>
> I was hoping for somewhere in the range of 8.5:1. Thanks for your time.
>
> Jason

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Although I have another setup sitting in my shed with scoupe pistons I will still consider this....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have a scoupe turbo block and 5spd tranny laying around as well. if i was going to use it, i would have the pistons done to 8 to 1 or 8.5 to 1 and go from there but i wasn't sure if some one starting out may be interested in this. a reliable, inexpensive decomp plate... for $150 for one, $100ea for two (probably less if more people interested and split it)

speaking of head gaskets... any ideas if the accent x3 head will bolt right onto the scoupe bottom end? the scoupe has a distributor on the head, accent doesn't. so to avoid a little rewiring?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I *think* it does, not 100% positive on that. I can get pics of my bottom end w/ or w/o the head on it if that could help you out some.... Mine is a 97 accent 1.5 with scoupe pistons, shot peened rods and the deck has been milled to raise the compression to 8:1.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh... you already have the spare block built up? how come it's not in the car?! :bandit: once you get the right exhaust manifold :: cough :: SS equal length :: cough :: you should pick up a t-28 from e-bay and booooooost.

i wanted to compare the head gaskets but nobody around here has them in stock... and i'm not sure but they may have different part numbers. there were like 3 revisions to the head gasket.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Im still planning on getting a 3angle valve job before I slap that puppy in ;-) Also as you mentioned I definitely need a new manifold/turbo. So I need alot of $ before it goes in.... I also have the head port and polished :evil:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would be in for a group buy on the 1.5L SOHC.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Find out how much for 3 hehe

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yikes... uhh... hehe this guy stated he didn't have the 1.5 SOHC on file so it would be a run off. $150 for the first one, $50 for the second one (and assuming the third and forth) he wasn't sure about sizes and how much it would drop compression, although i didn't ask too much further.

1.6DOHC i would image would be the same. $150 for the first, and $50 for the next if you could get a few you could split it... if you want i'll give you the e-mail or web site.

he just needs a copy of the gasket in order to do the run off.

[Edited by X3Jason on Mar 5, 2006 6:50 PM]

·
Registered
631 Posts
Either way Jason, I'm still in on the 1.5L unit. How much is a new gasket from the dealer? As far as compression reduction, anything is better than nothing. I think a drop to 8.5:1 might ruin our quench, but even a reduction to 9.5:1 would be a plus.

[Edited by Gimp on Mar 5, 2006 8:07 PM]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:eek:gre: unsure... it's been so long. i need to order a new oil pan and a front motor mount, if i remember i'll ask while i'm there this week. think we can ok this w/ the mods and put it up in group buy, or just turn this thread into a g/b? also, anybody here good w/ math enough to figure out thickness vs compression? this gentleman may be able to w/ cylinder bore and stroke, etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just a bump for GasketWorks USA. I sent him a gasket for my Tib, and he took care of it. It was a quick and painless process. I sent him the gasket, and within 4 days I had my new gasket at my door. Great Guy!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what thickness did you go with? were you able to figure thickness vs compression, or could he do it for you?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm definitely down for one. Maybe even 2 if different thicknesses.
I would prefer the thicker, but will go along with the crowd if necessary.

[Edited by XericRally on Mar 6, 2006 9:51 PM]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
wouldn't you want this only if your compressor efficiency range requires more psi? i have a pretty small turbo and im not sure if going beyond 10psi is really necessary with it. dont get me wrong, i'd jump on this if i knew it had some real benefit to me- but alas newbieism ensues.

note: according to kspec, their 3mm gasket reduces compression to 8.5:1
http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=85&ai_id=1008
3mm is fairly decent, wouldnt this require some sort of cam timing adjustment?

it will be interesting to see if i can be swayed in the direction that i absolutely need one of these and will die without it

[Edited by rbuecker on Mar 7, 2006 8:46 AM]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by rbuecker
[body]
3mm is fairly decent, wouldnt this require some sort of cam timing adjustment?
[/body]
this was my question, which had never been answered. nobody says you need this item. rab had ran his stock compression motor up to 14psi on a dsm t-25. normally if there is a possibility of exceeding turbine efficiency, it would be a chance to upgrade. i'm slightly looking at upgrading my turbo to a t-28. this gasket also offers a level of insurance. you could run the same turbo with the same boost as before the gasket. but with slightly less worry about breaking something.

this actually has potential to be the first X3 GB to happen. damn. :bandit::pirate:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by rbuecker
[body]
if it's mostly about insurance then i'm sold. good time to put the ported/valve job head on too :)
[/body]
now you're starting to sound like an real live official sports compact tuner. 8D just gotta figure out about the CAM question. i think our ECU would compensate and retune automatically. the only thing is, would the same timing belt suffice? i know with lightweight pulleys you may need a dif size belt...

somebody, quick, what's 3mm converted to inches? 3mm = 3/32" = .09375" may need two gaskets to get that desired thickness... or not... 1mm = .5 compression? (3mm = 1.5 drop) but the other thing is, that decompression plate advertised is for the DOHC motor. hmm... :??:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts