Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. quick question guys.
what would you think to be a good price to get my timing belt replaced?
97 tib, and im at 88,000 miles (supposed to be replaced at 60,000 i hear)
and knowing that, im a decent mechanic. is this too advanced of a job to attempt on a weekend?
i appreciate your input
rob

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
its more time consuming than anything really. i would say you can do it but it really depends on your patience level. having 2 people really helps the job along but ive done it myself. on a scale from 1-10 i would rate a timing belt on a tib about a 6. its not so hard but time consuming to get the motor mount off, and the splash guard around the belt can be a psin sometimes.

basically you remove the belts (PS, AC, alt, etc) then the crank pulley. then support the engine somehow (jack and 2x4 on oil pan) and take off teh engine mount. then take off the plastic splash guard on the top by the cam gear and then the rest of it thats connected to the block. from there you will se ethe tensioner. loosen the tensioner with the top 12mm bolt and pry the tension off of the belt and retighten the bolt (one of the thins where 2 ppl will come in handy). now just swap out the belts and retension the tensioner. theres different techniques to getting the timing right, probably the easiest is just to make sure the crank is at TDC before removing the belt. its a pain because you have to attach the belt, put the splash guard back on (because the timing marks are on the guard itself), slip the pulley back on (because the timing mark is on that as well) and then check it. if its not lined up (youre liable to be 1 or 2 teeth off) then remove everything and move it 1 or 2 teeth again until its lined up. the timing mark on the head is kinda hidden but if you know what youre looking at its apparent.

i dunno, if you were in syracuse i would do it for cheap for ya but ct is a few hours away. i dont know you or your skills so i wont recommend doing it or not, but there s a crude writeup for you. if you think you can do it then go ahead but if you bend your valves then hey its your car. i can do it in about an hour and a half- if youre interested just email me. if you need other work done too i would be glad to help 8D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had mine replaced at the hyundai dealer where I work last week, it cost me aprox. 250 $ cdn I'm not sure what that would be US$ probably 200$ or so. It's well worth it for someone who doesn't have the tools(me) or for someone who doesn't want to risk doing it themselves . If your car has 88000 miles do not wait! Get it done ASAP, they have to be changed every 96000 kilometers, which traslates to about 70k-75k miles if i'm right. These do not usualy last much longer than the mileage they are to be replaced at, especialy with hyundais I've been told. I've seen cars come in the shop at our dealership needing the entire motor replaced(valves bent, broken, and melted into the piston dome) just because they tought that they could wait a little longer before changing the belt. Anyways I'm glad I changed mine 'cause the technician who changed it showed it to me, and it was starting to deteriorate already at 93000 kilometers! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!;):

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys :) i think im gonna use your guidance and the hyundai webtech, and see if I can do it myself this weekend.

beppomarx - i'm in philly now for school. but its still about a 4hr drive ... so maybe if I cant do it i might still drive up there lol

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
well figure out if you can or cant do it before you start. because if you start and cant do it then youre not coming or going anywhere ;):

and yeah around 65000 miles my timing belt was stretching so far that above 6000rpm my 1.6 accent was backfiring!! scared the crap outta me when i first heard it.

just let me know. if you wanna email me your phone # ill send you mine and i can help you out as much as possible over the phone (or give you directions if you like), but i am only off saturdays and thursdays amd other than that i work 1-10pm. and im almost never up before 9-10am so dont bother before then ;) and if theres anything else you want done as far as maintinence or mods like i said it will only take about 1.5 hours. oh and a good rule of thumb is taht if youre replacing the timing bent to replace the water pump as well. maybe not so crucial at 88k but if you do the normal 60k interval i would definitely change it at 120k especially if you dont flush your rad fluid often, thats up to you though.

·
Banned
5,451 Posts
Bepo...I still want to get together with you also and do all that stuff we talked about awhile back. Just need to get some time together to come out and see ya.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Originally posted by Visionz
[body]
Bepo...I still want to get together with you also and do all that stuff we talked about awhile back. Just need to get some time together to come out and see ya.
[/body]
and replace those brake rotors now?? ;): sorry couldnt resist. :??: yeah man im available saturdays. oh and GOOD NEWS, it may or may not apply to neo but if it does then so be it. I GOT MY SCHEDULE CHANGED so as of next week i no longer have thurs/sat off, i now have friday and saturday off!!! can you say BINGE DRINKING??? bwahahahahahahahahahaaa!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input guys, but driving 4 hrs to beppomarx, although it would be a good learnin experience for me and some easy cash for him, i dont really have time for that drive. i found a good shop near my work that'll do it for $316. i thought that was pretty decent.

rob

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
hey i never said it would be EASY cash, timing belts are still a PITA X)

just make sure you trust the shop and they do it right. i work for much cheaper than that but yeah 8 hours for teh trip is a bit much. good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i live in Philly (I go to Drexel) but im on co-op now in King of Prussia. anyways, i got the car fixed yesterday. got new timing belt, tune up (wires and plugs), cleaned out the throttle body, and cleaned out the antifreeze or somethin. it ran me about $600 :dead:
BUT the car does feel MUCH better. that noise at 3rpm is gone, and the car is much smoother.

there is still a noise though. when i first start the car up at 6am to go to work, when i crank my tires to get outta my parkin spot, it makes this awful squeling. is that power steering related? or does it just make noise cause the car isnt warmed up yet. if there was a problem i think they woulda found it when they were all over the engine...

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
sounds like the power steering pump belt. try getting some belt dressing at a parts store ($5) but look at the ribs on the belt itself real good (may need a flashlight) and if they seem cracked or worn then replace them. also while they replaced the timing belt they needed to remove those belts so they may not have been tensioned correctly, you may only need to tighten them. its hard to explain how tight to get them you really need a feel for it. or one of those tensioner devices but ive never used one :gasmask:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts