Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

This whole thing with the Genesis coupe sounds really exciting. I'm looking to replace my '91 Supra this upcoming Spring and this coupe sounds like it would be the ideal replacement. (I currently own a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT as well)

My big question is, I like the performance of my Twin-Turbo 2.5L I6 in my Supra. (It's JDM btw, not domestic, Domestic never had twins.) According to the specs, it's pretty close to the performance of the 3.8 L V6.

So, when this coupe comes out, I'd like the performance of the V6. The big question is, a lot of tuners seem focused on the I4.

HKS is saying they can get 300 HP out of the 2.0 L I4, but why bother with all the tuning if the V6 puts out that much stock without any tuning?

Am I missing something here?

I know that a smaller engine means a lighter car which also means better handling, but wouldn't it make sense to buy the larger engine so you can get even more power out of the car?

What boggles my mind is why firms like HKS are focusing on the smaller engine when they could have already put out a kit for the V6...

Can you guys/gals enlighten me please before I make an uneducated decision?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
In all honesty it'll be difficult to even make an informed decision until the potential of each engine has been reached and the weaknesses discovered.

The I4 is very similar to the 4B11T in the EVO X, so a lot of the knowledge from R&D on that engine will transfer over, or at least apply well enough that tuning companies won't have to start from scratch.

The V6 can probably hit 450whp supercharged (and there will be companies supercharging the V6) but nobody will know how much power the V6 will hold until people exceed the amount and start blowing them up.

The popular opinion is that the I4 will have more potential to make big power, and that the point where the I4 makes more sense than the V6 would be somewhere around the 450whp mark. This is however speculation, if the V6 holds to 500whp or 600whp there won't be much of a reason to mod the I4.

There is a good chance that you will be able to make the I4 faster than the V6 for less money than buying a V6 Genesis Coupe also which would be another reason some people would opt for the I4. Since it's already FI it's easier to work on upping the power than switching a NA car to FI.

·
Registered
502 Posts
very well put 187sks but
most big companies don't usually make power claims unless they are selling simple bolt on and plug and play things.

with that in mind the I4 is also know to be lighter on the front end and "Car and Driver" claims it responds better on the track.

I would say if you want to leave the car stock then get the v6 and if you like it custom and track ready get an I4

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
It comes down to finances. The 2.0T Track is $2750 less than the V6. To make more power than the V6 will cost less than $2750 if you can install your own parts. Just due to displacement, the V6 should have more potential than the 2.0T. However, factory turbo cars make alot more power than stock for alot less money than a factory NA motor. To make serious power with the V6, you're looking at $5K to $10K to properly add forced induction. To make big power with the 2.0T, you're looking at bolt-on's and tuning.

Then there's the fact that if you stay out of the throttle, the 2.0T will get better mileage. The 2.0T should also cost less to insure since the MSRP is lower and there isn't enough claims history for the insurance industry to use anything other than value to assign risk.

Only drawback I see to the 2.0T is that it has a few less features and isn't available in green or blue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Up too $10,000 for super charger? Ripp mods are around $4,000 for the ralliart. Unless your going to mark ups are us you dont need to spend up too $10,000.
If what everyone is saying is true about the I4 being closer to the Ralliart, than the Evo, I would think you will have to do some internal upgrades to get big HP. I guess we will have to wait till someone blows up an engine to find out where the HP ends with a stock motor and bolt ons

·
Registered
502 Posts
If what everyone is saying is true about the I4 being closer to the Ralliart, than the Evo, I would think you will have to do some internal upgrades to get big HP. I guess we will have to wait till someone blows up an engine to find out where the HP ends with a stock motor and bolt ons
how do you figure? only the internals of the engine are changed with forged parts on the Evo.
its only a difference of 80HP
not to mention the genesis is a RWD as apposed to the Evos AWD wich mean less power lost in the drive train.
that small amount of power can be retained with small mods or even just turning up the boost and retuning it.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Up too $10,000 for super charger? Ripp mods are around $4,000 for the ralliart. Unless your going to mark ups are us you dont need to spend up too $10,000.
That includes supporting mods to make bigger power on the N/A V6. Including internal work. You will be able to supercharge it for less, but to truly get to the engine's full potential you'll have to spend a lot of money on things not included in any supercharger kit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i saw a video the other day cant remember the site but some big company, idk if it was hks or someone else was running a supercharger set-up on the v6 and making over 500whp. Also saw on youtube someone changed the turbo out to a gt30 ball bearing turbo, upped the boost and retuned and made 367whp on the dyno. both have extreme potential

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
$4K, plus pistons, rods, machine work, standalone ECU, fuel system upgrades, etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
how do you figure? only the internals of the engine are changed with forged parts on the Evo.
its only a difference of 80HP
not to mention the genesis is a RWD as apposed to the Evos AWD wich mean less power lost in the drive train.
that small amount of power can be retained with small mods or even just turning up the boost and retuning it.
Posted by I8acobra

"They both have the same block, but that's it. The Genesis motor was designed by Hyundai. They then gave the design to Mitsu, who tweaked it and turned it into the 4B11. They stuffed that with forged internals, slapped on a turbo and called it the 4B11T. The EVO motor has very little in common with the Hyundai 2.0T motor.."
Theres more diffrence than you might think

just turning up the boost might not get you much more hp. The T25 on a GSX could only go up to like 10 psi, and get a few more HP. You might need a bigger turbo, injectors, and fuel management.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Posted by I8acobra

"They both have the same block, but that's it. The Genesis motor was designed by Hyundai. They then gave the design to Mitsu, who tweaked it and turned it into the 4B11. They stuffed that with forged internals, slapped on a turbo and called it the 4B11T. The EVO motor has very little in common with the Hyundai 2.0T motor.."
Theres more diffrence than you might think

just turning up the boost might not get you much more hp. The T25 on a GSX could only go up to like 10 psi, and get a few more HP. You might need a bigger turbo, injectors, and fuel management.
yes yes I have heard of all the differences in evo engine compared to the genesis engine. evos forged internals and so on... its still not enough to convince me that i need to spend 5k to reach 300hp in a genesis
unfortunately turbo's are not limiting itself in boost waistgates do.
the DSM's 14b or T25 can go 22psi if you can spool it that fast and if it can handle the engine horse power out put.

regardless of what kind of turbo the genesis has (its probably a small cheap one) there is always a bigger or faster spooling one, I learned this from WRX fanatics.

I think we can push the Genesis above 300hp with a 3" straight exhaust,
tubular headers, bigger turbo swap, taking out belt power leach with lighter pulleys, and tuning.

but sure an easier cheaper way to achieve 300hp turn up the boost, higher flow exhaust, and tune.

If big companies say they can achieve a sertain horsepower with their products and you try them and find that you cant THAT'S CALLED FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, and yes it is open and viable law suit.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
AMS has been able to turn the boost up to 18psi on a stock motor. Resulted in 43whp in the midrange. At 18.5 psi, The ECU goes into panic mode and bypasses the turbo until you shut the engine off and start it back up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cobra was taling about internal upgrades, how much power do you guys want? The Eclipse 3.8 can handel 375 WHP. So what are you guys thinking?

·
Registered
16 Posts
AMS has been able to turn the boost up to 18psi on a stock motor. Resulted in 43whp in the midrange. At 18.5 psi, The ECU goes into panic mode and bypasses the turbo until you shut the engine off and start it back up.
is it the air fuel mix thats making it go in to panic mode, or is it the timming?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Neither... The ECU monitors and controls actual boost levels. If it sees over 18.5psi, it opens the BOV and holds it open until you reset it by turning off the car.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Nobody knows yet. AMS is working on it. Might be able to "clamp" the factory MAP sensor to keep the ECU from seeing any more boost.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Most factory turbo cars are MAP based. If you exceed the pressure rating of the MAP sensor, the car will have some kind of issue. I think Hyundai is the only one that holds the bypass valve open until you restart the car though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts