Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently starting to put together my turbo setup and have a few questions before i do anything.

First off i see in pictures of turbo'd cars the plastic elbow that connects to the throttle body is gone and so is the tube that is connected to it. What exactly is it and how can i remove it? Also can i remove it before i actually go turbo?

Secondly Im sticking with a MAF sensor for a lil while before i switch to a MAP based system and i would like to put the maf sensor inbetween the TB and the BOV. The question is can i do this? and if so how much PSI can that sesor handle before breaking it?

And my last question is where did you all put the 2 O2 sensors? Im guessing one pre turbo and the other one after your secondary cat... but i could be wrong..

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Your mass airflow will need to go as close to the throttle body as you can get it. Your bov valve you will want between the mass air flow and intercooler. It will go Intake manifold - massairflow-bov-intercooler. My bov is very near the intercooler and the maf very near the throttle body. Do not do this backwards the car will constantly stall unless you recirculate the bov. As for the pipe you are talking about you just find a coupling that fits it and adapt tubing from there.... Both o2 sensors go after the turbo. One just after and if you use a cat one after it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what im saying is that i see alot of ppl who dont have them at all. How do u do that?

And how much PSI can i put through that MAF?

What if i dont have that second cat? ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I run my maf as a pull through just like stock and haven't had any problems running it to the turbo inlet. This is the setup that probably has you confused. Looking at my motor I don't have the maf in the stock location it is relocated on my turbo intake completely seperate from my throttle inlet.

Some guys run it as a blow through(hooked inline with the cold side intercooler piping) and have luck that way like omgbossis21.

As long as it sees airflow one way or another your going to be fine.

Either way you will still need your maf sensor(if you have one) for your car to run well. Mine will run without it but just barely.

If you go either route you will need to use a recirculating blow off valve because without it you will go super rich everytime you release excess boost to the atmosphere.

I run an o2 in my turbo's o2 housing and one after my cat like a factory setup but with lengthened wires. If you do anything other than this you'll end up with o2 codes or cat efficiency codes.

sounds like you have some more researching ahead of you before you tackle this project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
andy said:
This is the setup that probably has you confused.
no im not confused at all, i just dont want to have a recirculating system so i will put my MAF sesor after the BOV I just want to know how much presure that sesor can handle before it starts to tear up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
it should be fine with high boost, however i think the only problem you will have is it popping off the turbo piping b/c of the pressure

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I was running 22psi through the maf for a few months and its still fine so dont worry about tearing it up. It is very hard at that psi to keep the couplings attached to the maf though. I sanded it with rough sandpaper then siliconed the maf (light coat) to the couplings, then it held up.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Not sure on the coversion. I am using large injectors, 440cc meaning i had to turn down the maf voltage alot to keep from going so rich. The rising rate fuel pressure regulator also made me richer. I am however running the beta maf which is larger than the stock accent maf.

·
Registered
737 Posts
22 psi is 1.5 bar

My reply was geared toward your second paragraph question as to what the plastic elbow off the throttle body was or why it was eliminated on some turbo setups.

your either going to have to run a recirculating blowoff valve or have your car go super rich when your blow off valve pops.

there isn't a downfall to running a recirculating blow off valve, it works just as well, your just not going to hear the cool noise one vented to the atmosphere makes

if you don't run one your maf signal will still be sending fuel but it won't have air since your purging the cold side pipe of pressurized air. Quite a few sr20 swapped 240s do this and you get a big ass pop or flame out the exhaust when you let off the throttle.

this is a good way of ruining o2 sensors and if you have a converter say goodbye to that bad boy

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Thats not exactly true. If your maf is on the hotside you should have no problems venting to the atmosphere. When i first did my setup it went rich and stalled everytime it blew off. I corrected it with the emanage anti stall feature, which only worked so/so. Once I swapped the maf to the hotside as close to the throttle body as i could get it i was able to turn off the anti stall feature and vent to the atmosphere with no problems. You will however want a high quality bov such as the hks ssqv which is designed so that it cannot leak at idle which is also a big problem with no recirc and mafs on the intake side of the turbo. The hks also vents vacuum making a cool little noise!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts