Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I removed the heat shield from my headers last night and noticed 2 nice little cracks... what problems is this/would this be causing?

if your taking a picture in the dark and the flash is to bright for a close up, cover it with your finger for a nice red glow:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
looking to buy in the performance direction... any suggestions.... ?

update: i used a little mirror and saw that the crack goes all the way around it:mad: .....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Find a header to replace your cracked exhaust manifold, I'm not really sure the benefits between 4-2-1's and 4-1's I remember reading one is better for auto trans.

If you want to make a bigger leap get a turbo manifold and go the boosted route.

:)

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Looks to be that probable cause is your casting flash turned itself into a stress riser. Best way to avoid that is to pull the manifold whe new and grind the flash away leaving a flush surface.

For NA tubular stainless is fine. 4-1 headers generally like to move peak torque higher into the rev range, while 4-2-1 likes to break it up over the entire powerband(more area under the graph) You should choose your header according to your driving conditions.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would love to go turbo, after a beta swap... but since i want to do it right, it is going to cost me $$$ and time i dont have..... im going back to iraq:mad: in 5 months and will definitely have the money and time when i get back:D ...

so for now, i think a 4-2-1 should suit me right...

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Could just be ghetto and JB Weld the crack for now so it doesnt leak on ya, and then when ya have the money buy headers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
atrimble_2001 said:
Could just be ghetto and JB Weld the crack for now so it doesnt leak on ya, and then when ya have the money buy headers.

nah... i cant weld, dont know a welder, and would rather throw down for somethin new and nice:D

oh i would rather go through a reputable business than joe schmuckatelli's corner shop....
whats a good website or place in so cal .....san diego through oceanside......

·
Registered
427 Posts
This crack is standard OEM on the 98-99 exhaust manifold.
There was a recall on it.
Go see your Dealer and quote TSB#03-01-004
and see what they say.
You might get a free replacement.

Oh, and JB Weld is a paste that you mix then spread over the crack. When it hardens, it's almost as good as metal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Platinum6316 said:
This crack is standard OEM on the 98-99 exhaust manifold.
There was a recall on it.
Go see your Dealer and quote TSB#03-01-004
and see what they say.
You might get a free replacement.

Oh, and JB Weld is a paste that you mix then spread over the crack. When it hardens, it's almost as good as metal.

OH SNAP! im calling in on it right now!

thanks!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweeeet.im on the phone witht the guy and he said i can get it replaced woo woo!!!

possibly stupid question.... will the aftermarket mods i did myself such as ram intake, relocated battery and such void the recall or do they have to do it regardless because i requested it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the after market mods don't affect the recall. maybe if i was trying to use a warranty... but i have an appointment Saturday for the dealership to look at it and order the new exhaust manifold... i wont argue with free!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
You're welcome.
It's always nice to know I (we) can help.
It sucks that the recall was only for US cars, since the Canadian ones crack just the same. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so yeah i missed my sat appointment. i had laser eye surgery on thursday and have been laid up on the couch all weekend poppin percocet:p .. couldnt open my eyes friday or saturday:mad:

ill post a pic when i get it replaced...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts