Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I need a little help here. My crank pulley is wobbling all over the place and hitting the sidewall so I'm assuming it's loose. Anyways, turning it obviously doesn't do jack since it just turns the engine so does anyone have an easy solution to this ? I tried going at it with an impact wrench for a while and I've gotten no where....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Torque wrench, in a couple of steps of increasing tension, with the last tightening 130ft-lbs. NOT a frikken impact. You will never know what sort of torque an impact puts on a bolt, but it could easily be way too much or far short of enough. Torque. Wrench.

Pull off the upper timing cover. Stick a deep well socket into the spokes of the timing gear, resting under the spot next to the bearing where the cam comes out of the head. There is a little protrusion on the side of the head that isn't bearing support. Stick the socket in there, and a ratchet on the socket, and a pipe on the ratchet. Have a helper pull back on the pipe, and tighten the crank bolt. The socket in the pulley, pushing against the head, will prevent the engine turning.

^that's how I did mine. Two or three times.

You can also pull the starter and stick a screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel to hold the engine, or, if it's a standard, leave it in 1st or Reverse and let the car hold itself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's all torqued to spec and i've been trying everything. Is it possible that somethign in the pulley could be broken that would cause it to not be centred or true ? it's wobbling so much I think that it would have to be loose enough that I could hand tighten it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If the crank bolt has the thick spacer between the bolt head and the pulley, the dust cover and timing gear are behind the crank, and the bolt is tightened to spec, and the pulley is wobbling, you have either:

a) bent pulley (my bet)
or
b) bent crank (not likely)
or
c) some crap behind the pulley pulling it sideways. (go look)

If you grab the pulley by hand does it move (broken), or does it just have a lot of runout on the pulley when the engine turns (bent)? Does it have the fat (like 1cm) spacer/washer between the head of the bolt and the pulley?

I have a spare pulley, bolt, and spacer, if you need them, for a small number of dollars. If you have a 1.8L, I also have a crank if you want it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a 2.0 litre and i just took off the pulley and you were right, it's broken. PM me what price you're thinking and what shipping to 85225 would be. I guess I might as well take it all off your hands. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to use the Accent Bolt and washer because I couldn't fit it in my engine bay with the Beta bolt and washer. Accent washer is way to small so the inner circle of the pulley got a gouge in it and basically fell off track. it's all chewed up on the inside. Anyways, i'll see what i can do with the beta bolt and washer, maybe i missed something last time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ah, it's a B swapped accent, gotcha. Cool. I didn't look at your signature. When you go to install this set, I'm going to recommend gentle persuasion with a hammer on the sheet metal before you put her all back together. Or a sawzall. ;)

You might try filing the washer to fit but I'd vote for you use the proper combination of OEM parts to make it fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts