Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to make my own bumper since too much is not available for my J1.

I got my hands on a defect from a factory by where I work. Its some sort of FORD bumper. I took 2 of them in case I screwed the first one up.

I cut the top off and test fitted it.

Then I cut some more off.

And here is a picture of the spare one...if anyone has any idea of what it came from let me know.

So anyways I was wondering if anyone knows of any good ways to attach the plastic bumper to the fenders. I assume Im going to be using alot of bondo. This is my first time doing anything like this so if you have any advice or tips, let me know.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
looks like its from either a ford fusion or..something..

looks good..keep it up..i have a civic lip on my accent that fit with a bit of cutting and hacking

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yep thats a ford fusion. Why not get the factory fog lights? they will fit in those holes on either side.

Jed used this awesome screw way that i think would work good. Attached the bumper by screws, and cover the heads with bondo and paint. Cant even tell.

Use 'pan' head screws, and drill out the hole for the screws a little larger than needed. So the screw will sit a little inset into the bumper. then bondo and sand the screw flat, and paint.

And that would look really sweet on the car man. Now all you need is an intercooler to fill that big gaping hole in the front now. lol.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Well I dont know what you can do to atatch them together but I can tell you from experience that fiberglass will not bond with the plastic.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im saving up for the 2.0 right now.
Its not a fusion bumper...its close but its not it.

I dont know if you can tell but in my first pic there is also a front lip of some sort. I might try to use that on the back of the car.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been cutting the bumper and making mounting brackets for a few days now. And I finally got them on the car and the bumper today, so I decided to see what it looks like.

Its a better fit then before but its not even close to perfect. The driver side has a half inch gap, and the passenger side has a 1/4 inch gap.
All my measuring didnt do squat...:(

This is one of the brackets that holds the front.

This one slides into the stock elantra mounting point on the side.

Tomorrow Im going to look for some mesh to cover up some of the holes, and I will prime the it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I forgot about this thread...sorry. I'll take a few pics today. Looks good from far away.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had it sitting for a few days on top of the old bumper with c clamps so it would take its shape. The part under the headlight is the only part that doesnt match up. I was thinking about cutting that part in half and putting another bracket behind it and just bondoing or fibreglassing the rest, but I ran out of time and I needed the car back on the road.

Im going to be doing the 4G63T swap in the spring so Im keeping this free bumper on there for the winter. After the swap is done Im going to find a stock bumper and get it on there.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I'll bet that if you cut some "V"'s out of the top side along the area under the headlights you could weld something onto the stock bodywork to hold the bumper out so that it matches up with the car.

The bumper looks great IMO except for near the headlights.

You ever figure out what it was from? I looked pretty hard and couldn't identify it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has the same contours as a mercury mkz, and ford fusion. The for fusion has side markers mine does not. But the middle section looks like it is from a fusion.

The fog lights I have no idea.
Also I bought some $15 fogs yesterday which I will install after I change my fuel pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts