Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear some people have cut the stock shifter and it works while others say dont do it. I just want to hear some pros and cons on it as I want a short shifter but cant afford one. Thanks to anyone who tries to help with this subject....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I did it on mine, but just for looks. I cut it from the top just because the stock one looked a little too high for my tastes. It will not however do anything for short shifting if thats what your thinking. :rambo:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have Skierd's car now. I can tell you the throw is slightly reduced, and it's nice to have the knob lower, but I would say just save your money. After a while, you get sick of the sloppyness of the shifter, and cutting it makes it a little harder(IMO) to find the gears.

It is however, a cheap solution to the X3 "boner" shifter. :lol:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I would prefer the shifter sit a little lower as well. I was thinking about doing it until I can afford to get a short shifter (I have other things in mind to buy now). Cutting it should definitely reduce the throw a little bit. I was aware it would make it a little bit harder to shift, thats the theory behind levers. I'll wait for a few more opinions and then decide. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
538 Posts
haha i agree, i hate having the shift stick being so long... its like shifting from one postcode to the next compared to some of mates cars... but bvtmattyc, what did you mean by you get sick of the sloppyness of the shifter?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the PSC short shifter kit for my x3 and i think its still kinda high, i was thinkin of doin this to my kit...

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
i cut my lc one and really liked it a lot, there wasnt any sloppyness at all. the scoupe, now that shifter is sloppy as hell and i am about to cut it probably tomorrow. oh well.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well Im going for it so I will let you know how I like it, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
you can either cut it and get one of those shifter knob's that secure themselve's on the rod with a allen key or borrow someone's Thread Kit and make a thread on the cut surface and enjoy the OEM Knobs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts