Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to have to ask but I sure need a Hyundai Guru's input on a 2001 1.6L Accent.

1. History of the problem.
While travelling my wife experienced a bad misfire condition which also overheated the catalytic converter (plastic parts near the converter melted). When I got home, the car cranked but ran very bad. I changed the plugs and it ran no different. I used my OBDII software to view that there were cylinder misfire codes for two of the cylinders. (For no good reason) I cleared the codes (which is an option in the OBDII software) and every since, I cannot get the car to start, it seems to come very close to starting as I run the starter motor but never actually starts.

2. What I have tried since...
- Cylinder compression checks good (~185 PSI per cylinder)
- The timing belt alignment looks good.
- I swapped the coil on the 2 cylinders which were listed in the cylinder misfire codes.
- I disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected it, the thought being there may have been something going on with the ECU.
- I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge conected directly to the fuel pump. However, I was not able to 'Tee' into the line to check that the system maintains pressure.
- I re-checked to ensure there is spark at the plugs.
- I lifted the fuel injector rail and there is fuel spraying from the injector tips.

I feel that I took a step backwards from the car being able to run poorly to not being able to start. The last thing that I did prior to the car not being able to run is to clear the codes.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Check the crankshaft position sensor - it's plastic and right by the exhaust manifold (if it's like the 1.8/2.0L). It will let the car crank but never start if it's gone bad. Other than that... does the exhaust sound like the cat. may have been plugged?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Latest

Well Hyundai gurus out there, I still desperately need your advice...

I've done the following to date:
- Tee-ed into the fuel line (at the fuel filter) and measured the system pressure while cranking (50PSI)
- Swapped the crank sensor
- Swapped the camshaft sensor
- Swapped the MAP sensor
- Rechecked the timing belt and it definately has not slipped or jumped
- Rechecked the compression, it actually measures 200 PSI per cyl.
- Removed the fuel rail, and visually looked at the ouput of each injector while running the starter motor, they all seem to spray fine.
- Again the spark (at the plugs) looks good.

Here is additional description of the symptoms
- As the starter motor rotates the engine, many of the cylinders slightly fire but the engine never fully starts. If I open the throttle wide enough while running the starter motor, there will be some occassional ignition in the exhaust.
- While attempting to start the engine, the plugs quickly get a black layer of black dry powder on them (as if the cylinders are too rich). I clean the plugs to look like new again but the black carbon quickly returns the next time I try to start the engine.

At this point, I'm inclined to ask, is there any chance the ECM is the culprit?

Sorry to bother you guys with this, any input is most appreciated!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anything can fail. Computers included.

Have you had the battery checked? Maybe it, or maybe the starter, are not spinning the engine hard enough? Seems like it would be, with 200PSI but you never know. The plugs are on the coilpacks in the right order? I know exhaust gaskets aren't free, but I think it *may* be worth pulling the exhaust manifold and having a peek.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It look like your catalic converter is broken. Take off exhaust manifold like Stocker told and tray to start the engine. If it starts then you know where is the problem.

It is easier to take of exhaust pipe after catalic converter but in the bottom it can be in good condition and upper part can be broken (and that you can not see).

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey i might have a solution for your problem
when i hooked my analog temp gauge up to the factory sensor wire i started the car and ran it till it came to temp to confirm gauge was working and it was and i was happy and went home for the night.
came back next day car would try but would not start unless i had my foot to the floor and then would sit there and chug after started and run pig rich until i disconected the wire from the temp gauge i hooked up then started right away and everything was fine again! stupid hyundai emmissions stuff is killing me and am pretty sure is causing my problems under high rpm boost
soo i would change water temp sensor.
Try starting it with your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and if it starts and chugs that is most likely your prob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts