1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the background:

2003 Hyundai Accent with extended 100,000 mile warranty
Currently 88,000 miles

No tranny probs until recently. Will not go into reverse now.

Owner's Manual says to replace tranny fluid at 100,000

Called local dealer and they said the since they had never serviced the vehicle they would not repair the tranny.

I'm putting a call in to Hyudai America but I wanted a second opinion.

Anyone else had warranty issues?

TIA

-Dan

·
Registered
3,497 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
95% of all cars fall under the definition of severe duty. Severe duty is:
- repeated short distance driving
- extended idling
- driving in dusty, rough roads
- driving in areas that use salt or other corrosive materials in cold weather
- driving in sandy areas
- 50% or more driving in city traffic
- driving in mountainous areas

I happen to have a 2003 Accent (4-door) and the maintenance log say to replace the trans fulid every 30K miles. You should have changed it twice already and be 2K miles away from its third change. Sorry but this is not Hyundai's fault; it's yours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
while we're on the topic of tranny fluid, is there a performance/upgrade type fluid i could put into my LC2 slow-matic?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
while we're on the topic of tranny fluid, is there a performance/upgrade type fluid i could put into my LC2 slow-matic?
NO!!!!

ONLY USE SP-III automatic transmission fluid. It is a synthetic fluid that Hyundai requires to maintain the warranty. If you use any other fluid, it will destroy the automatic trans.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
haha OK OK won't go away from sp-III
I have replaced countless Hyundai automatic transmissions at my shop because people are too dumb to read and comprehend the owners manual which states only use SP-III automatic transmission fluid. People think any automatic transmission fluid works in any car. That is not so.

I would put a small cooler on the trans in line with the radiator cooler. The Accent trans does overheat easy and it does not take long for the trans fluid to go bad. I would also put a cooler filter on as well.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
hey thanks man, ill shop around for one this weekend
Flex-a-lite makes a small trans cooler (10,000 GVR, a 4 row 5 inch by 8 inch) that is right for the car. Magnafine makes a inline cooler filter (available at most trans shops). The cooler (also Hayden 1401 fits) is about 40 bucks. You also should get a section of trans fluid cooler hose and extra clamps.

The fluid temp should be no hotter than 195 degrees, and when I had my Accent, the fluid temp was 225 degrees. Optimal temp should be 170-195 degrees.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
NO!!!!

ONLY USE SP-III automatic transmission fluid. It is a synthetic fluid that Hyundai requires to maintain the warranty. If you use any other fluid, it will destroy the automatic trans.
Bingo!!! done ever use any other type of fluid.
To the post starter: This is nothing but your fault. 88k and youve never serviced the tranny. It specifically states 30k change intervals I just double checked.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah, sorry, but you're kinda s.o.l.

And I would never change automatic trans fluid for the first time anywhere past 85,000 miles, it will likely never shift right again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My warranty on my '07 Accent stops at 80,000 if I don't get it serviced there, if I do get it serviced there it is 100,000. Maybe yours is like that? Eitherway, it is still BS.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
damn the Hyundai Auto trannys suck a$$! The manual I have has never given me an issue and I'm toped it with Royal Purple tranny fluid 45K miles ago ( around 20-23K miles were on it). If your going to replace the tranny wich it sound like you will have to get a manual. Might be a bit more trouble seeing as the car is set up for auto but it would prolly be worth it if you intend to keep the car for some time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts