Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettin ready to do a Major overhaul on my 2003 tib 2.0. I'm trying to find the right turbo for me. I have power goals of betweem 430-500 HP ... I'm leaning toward this one.. the GT2871R from Garrett. Here is a link to look at some maps. I'm not interested in hitting 200 mph... i'm more focused on acceleration...i want to get to about 140 as fast as i possibly can...which means i need a turbo with very little lag time...something that will spool up fast. My displacement falls at the low end of this turbo's range, so do you think engine can handle it well? Thanks for the help.

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you build the motor to support your goals thats the turbo of choice!

·
Registered
502 Posts
smaller turbo means faster spool. when it comes to small turbos people like to choose the 14b, 16g, and t25.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
No t25 to support those goals. Depends on the flange on ur manifold if its the standard t25 flange the t28 is ideal. If its a t3 flange then you would go with a t3/t4 hybrid for that kind of power.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
what omgbossis21 said. Although a 16G would be able to launch you close to that make. I got a 14b on my 1.6 and it starts boosting at about 3k rpm. Pretty low id say. have you reasearched the power your looking for at all? Comparred the weight of yur car with other that have the same 400-500 hp your looking for?

I use this example a lot. Hyundaiturbo14 has a buddy who I meet a couple times. Cool guy but want nothing but power. He has an old school Mirage Turbo 1.6 with an evo VIII motor swap. Hes got a GT35 garret turbo and is putting down 430 to the wheels. (yes Ive seen the dyno sheet and spoken to the dyno shop owner, its a fact). His car weighs about 2500 lbs. Granted its smaller and weighs less than a Tib, but still. Point is the guy cant get traction for the life of him. He even droped his power to 350 and he still gets no traction from 1st till the top of 3rd gear ON SLICKS! He gets a 15sec. qt mile time everytime because of it. So be smart about how and where you apply power. Too much will be useless and be a waste for you. Find the right balance of weight and power and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Well said fintle. I built my motor and doubled the horsepower without thinking much of how i would get traction, just guessing it could handle double the power output and i was wrong. Best to invest in a nice suspension setup first and probably a decent set of wheels, I did it backwards and couldnt hook as well with alot less power.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts