Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago, I broke a tooth. It was a molar tooth in the rear of my mouth. The tooth kept chipping away until the root was visible and I started having a lot of pain.

I wanted to get the tooth pulled out; I never had a tooth pulled. I was calling around yesterday (had the day off and I wanted to get this done) and the cheapest place that would pull it charged $120.00 with the exam and X-Ray. Why do dentist charge so much? It took the guy like five minutes to pull the darn thing. They did numb it with a couple of shots.

They wanted to do a root-cannel, $400.00 and a cap, which would have cost $350.00, $750.00 to fix and to save a lousy tooth. In addition, they try to get you to authorize the repairs while you are sitting in the dentist chair. They are ticked off at you because you don’t want to spend the money and it is as if they don’t want to do the work you asked them to do. I don’t have dental insurance so it sucks. I am sitting there in pain and I just want the dumb tooth pulled.

I got the tooth pulled and I am feeling it now. The dumb thing is still bleeding a little. I asked the nurse if I could keep the tooth and she looked at me weird. It's pretty cool.

In so many words, Dentist suck.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It cost me around $1000 to get the tooth next to my right front tooth pulled. They had to do a bunch of facial surgery to remove damaged tissue and I had a drain all the way up to my eye socket to remove infected fluid for a week.

I think $120 for exam, x-rays, and extraction is a very fair price.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 187sks
[body]
It cost me around $1000 to get the tooth next to my right front tooth pulled. They had to do a bunch of facial surgery to remove damaged tissue and I had a drain all the way up to my eye socket to remove infected fluid for a week.

I think $120 for exam, x-rays, and extraction is a very fair price.
[/body]
That crazy for what you went though, ouch. The $120.00 isn't bad but the $750.00 to save the tooth is nuts.

[Edited by peters73 on Dec 27, 2005 1:27 PM]

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I'm looking at around $1500 to get an implant and a fake tooth. I'm self conscious about the missing tooth big time.:depressed:

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I think you got a pretty good deal... Each one of my caps ran $1400 a piece (and insurance only paid half).

You're right, dentists do suck, but the worst part of it is that the insurance hasn't caught up to the dental technology that is available. A lot of the stuff that is necessary (ie: caps/crowns) is still considered cosmetic.

I also think the whole flossing thing is BS. I started flossing once a day 4 or 5 years ago and my teeth only get worse. I think the flossing opens up your teeth/gums to infections once you start. I've been using Biotene http://www.biotene.com/ toothpaste and mouthwash and only flossing if bits of food are caught. Within two weeks I've noticed an improvement.... no tooth pain, no plaque build-up.

I really question the recommendations of dentists now... once I get the 2-3 teeth fixed in my head (I had sh!tty dentists when I was a teenager... still need a few more crowns), I'll only be going in for the "professional" cleanings...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to Mexico for my next Dental visit HA! My girlfriend went to a ER and had her tooth pulled for $50.00, it was a county hospital. I called the local county hosptial and they wouldn't pull it. I wanted to pay $50.00 instead. LOL

[Edited by peters73 on Dec 27, 2005 3:56 PM]

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
got to the dentist for a tooth removal..??

i used to have all of my tooth pulled by my old man..X)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]

[/body]
Your joking right? That had to be painful, did you have a little drink before hand?

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Holy ****... I'd be broke poor if I had to pay for all the teeth that were taken out...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Originally posted by peters73
[body]
[body]

[/body]
Your joking right? That had to be painful, did you have a little drink before hand?
[/body]
I'm guessing a lot of drink... couple bottles of Soju maybe?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
we used ambesol to numb the pain, to loosnen the tooth he used a tiny needlenose plier's that was soaked in alcohol and touched with a flame to keep it streile.

after that..it's yank yank

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[body]

we used ambesol to numb the pain, to loosnen the tooth he used a tiny needlenose plier's that was soaked in alcohol and touched with a flame to keep it streile.

after that..it's yank yank

[/body]
Baby teeth? Where did you grow up?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I just went and had 3 cavities filled. I was in teh chair for 30 mins and required one to be numbed...cost was 476.98 CDN. I mean, he did basically nothing. They over charge but insurance pays it all so what do I care?!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well if insurance pays it all what's it matter? I'm trying to go to college I don't HAVE insurance :( BTW Accentguru mind e-mailing me or me e-mailing you? I'm looking for someone that knows something about the '97 Accent GT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts