Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a known problem, but I have identified what I consider a design flaw in my 2006 Sonata LX. I would never drive without wearing my seatbelt, but while showing off the sound system to friends I would start the car and leave it in park without belting in. I noticed that the vehicle alarmed constantly, even though it was in park. This was annoying, but I could live with it. However, I then noticed that the trip computer insisted I had driven for something like 6 hours, at an average speed of 12 miles per hour, getting 12.5 miles per gallon. In other words, the trip computer apparently bases its calculations on engine run time, NOT drive time. I've reset the computer, and duplicated the results. As a result, the average speed and miles per gallon will never be accurate, and will even be wildly off if you run the vehicle in park much. IMHO the seat belt alarm and the trip computer should key off of the "in gear" signal and not the "engine on" signal. I believe this is how most vehicles work. Also, my manual says there is an "A" and "B" trip odometer (also like most vehicles). Mine only has a single odometer, not designated "A" or "B". Anyone know how to bring this to Hyundai's attention, or have anything to add? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
i think you should definetely kill a fool...

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
this is a problem with hyundai's stubbornness to using too many electronic's in their vehicles..
what happened to being practical and not being so hyped like a german..

a example is their stupidity to keep using drive by wire..some sonata's were reported to lurch forward when in drive by themselves..

·
Registered
168 Posts
All the owners manuals are a generic type.. So in the manual you will have the LX and GLS all listed... Some options are on one and not the other. The manual does say with trip odometer and one with a trip computer.. They are both different.. If you have the trip odometer then you would have the A and B odometer. Have you checked if the computer and your actual miles per gallon? I've checked and it's been pretty accurate. Being only off a 1-2 miles per gallon off. Fuel milage should be calculated when the engine is running. Since your using fuel even though your idling.. Only thing I'm really not happy with mine is the fuel milage of the 2.4L. I've been told by our district Hyundai rep that it will get better.. But not till like 10k miles. Since the engines have such close tolerences.. The hole seat belt thing.. Yeah it sucks to have it dinging all the time.. Hopefully they will have a reprogram or a fix for that.. If you want a accurate drive time.. All you do is reset when you leave. It just keeps track on how long the engine been running.. Sorta like a hour meter.. I'll ask my district Hyundai rep next time he's up which should be in January and see if they are going to do anything about the seat belt chime... I can also call tech line to see if there is anything we can do..

[Edited by imcastock on Jan 1, 2006 10:47 AM]

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
It calculates your gas mileage based on engine run time. Therefore, if you are sitting in one place for 3 hours, your gas mileage will be crap. It uses gas and your mpg will be drastically lower if you are just sitting there instead of driving.

What doesn't make sense about that? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by 03-Accent-03
[body]
It calculates your gas mileage based on engine run time. Therefore, if you are sitting in one place for 3 hours, your gas mileage will be crap. It uses gas and your mpg will be drastically lower if you are just sitting there instead of driving.

What doesn't make sense about that? ;)
[/body]
Just what I was thinking reading this. Average economy INCLUDES stopped time.

I was driving a safari van last year for awhile. it was capable of getting 22 mpg but it averaged 10-12!! mainly because of the normal stuation I was in. (Traffic!) The trip computer would say average speed 18-23 mph! Though at times it'd be runnng over 70. The rest was from sitting in traffic. Kinda of interesting actually I found. LOL.:??:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]
this is a problem with hyundai's stubbornness to using too many electronic's in their vehicles..

a example is their stupidity to keep using drive by wire..some sonata's were reported to lurch forward when in drive by themselves..

[/body]
All autos lurch. Hence why most go into 2nd gear when stopped.

Also, you do burn gas when the car's running and in park.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Originally posted by djnogo
[body]
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]

[/body]
All autos lurch. Hence why most go into 2nd gear when stopped.

Also, you do burn gas when the car's running and in park.
[/body]
i meant when the cars IS in drive and idling not when you put it into drive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts